How to use the bible in arguements

I would like to know how people can use a book that has suffered more revisions, ommissions and alterations of every sort for hundreds of years as a basis of opinions and beliefs. I myself find it hard to take the bible as legit especially when arguing against things like homosexuality, and other issues. So how do you justify the bible or do you dismiss it as i do? (i can believe in God and not be considered a member of a religion)

KEHMom

Asked by KEHMom at 9:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I look at it this way -- when you compare the Bible with other documents, it's rather amazing that it made it this far AT ALL. When you study it compared to archaeological documents and secular accounts of history, it is amazingly accurate. From strictly a literary standpoint it's impressive. Over 40 human writers, yet one theme underlies it... it has survived eons of persecution... has touched immeasurable hearts and lives and radically changed Western Civilization. People will always argue back and forth -- even Bible scholars -- what is literal and what is symbolic in the Bible. Reading it makes me feel connected to a larger part of things, a bigger picture, it inspires me to THINK-- to ask questions of myself and society.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The issue I have with using the bible in arguments is that if the person you are arguing with isn't a Christian than the bible isn't going to sway their mind anyway. I see that all the time on here arguing about gay marriage. The law does not take into account what the bible says. If you use to bible to defend your own personal beliefs, fine. But don't use it as evidence that something should be illegal.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• The devil believes in God too. Interesting just like you. huh
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My apologetics are strictly for the blood of Jesus Christ. I found life in the Scriptures and I will continue to stand up for their truth. The legitamacy is in the amazing changes I have noticed in myself after meeting God in the Bible's pages. I can't explain it to an unbeliever any better than that, sorry.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• One day everyone will give an account and no one will escape!! The bible has NO errors. It was inspired by God so its complete and complete because He is perfect.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Wow JC - all I ever see you how you pat yourself on the back for being a loving forgiving Christian and you say --- The devil believes in God too. Interesting just like you. huh.  I guess you're not as perfect as you like to post that you are. Incredibly rude.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• She's asking a legitimate question. There are *so* many different versions of the bible -- each different section of Christianity has altered it and "modified" it... is each modification God's work? Then why do they disagree? If you're threatened by a question just admit you don't know instead of attacking a person for asking. Your God may be perfect but his people ARE NOT. Your God did not write the bible, his fallible humans did. Are you saying that humans are as perfect as your God? They have no chance for mistakes? They would never abuse the bible for their own agenda?

Serafyna

• way to go Serafyna!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Nov. 11, 2008 by: Anonymous
    way to go Serafyna!!!!

ditto!!!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Being a non-Christian who is very familiar with the Bible (I studied a variety of versions steadily for years), it is very hard for people who base their lives on the Bible to understand it is not the source of truth for everyone. I had friends who were Jehovah Witnesses and would talk about issues with them and try to get them to think without using the Bible as their basis of argument. They were good people, but like many others, were so entrenched in their beliefs it made them blind and deaf to other possibilities. You'd think that people who would want to push the Bible on you would find ways to do it that actually speak to you instead of just insisting. Some religions inject so much fear and/or faith, people get very uncomfortable stepping outside of it. I'm glad I get to find the beauty in all of it by being open to all beliefs.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2008