Ineed advise for my 19 year old son

my son attended the local jr collge for 1 semester, found out he stopped going. He seems lost and depressed. How can I help him??

itzmarcy

Asked by itzmarcy at 12:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I wouldn't attack him about the dropping out. I'd sit him down and ask him if he has any ideas that interest him. What can you expose him to that might spark interest? Being idle is a curse. I think the key is to get him doing "something." What that is, I don't know but try to support him. Our teens have it hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe he's not sure he's taking the right classes for him. Maybe he is still undecisive about what he wants to do in life. Make a list of what he likes and see is there is some common ground for the right classes. My niece changed her mind three time to wind up in nursing school.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If he is willing get him to a dr. If not ....hmmmmmmi am lost. You bring up a fear of mine. My 12 yr old dd has bipolar and has already tried to hurt herself and brothers numerous times. She has been hospitalized 3 times in past year. We get her meds right then she feels she doesn't need them anymore! I of course make her take them while explaining why this is, but when she is older and not under my care legally i am terrified at what may happen and how little control i may have! Maybe call a local mental health provider and see what options you have? Sorry no help!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Also maybe he just needs a semester or two off?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Is he working or was school all he did? My 20 yr. old son goes to school part time and works part time. He doesn't get burned out of either and he feels good earning extra spending money to go out. Maybe thats an option for him. Good Luck!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe he would be interested in a trade school instead? It is very frustrating taking classes without a set plan or goal. Or knowing that the goal is 4 years ahead of you and you don't know what you'll do with it anyhow. Trades can be 6 months or 12 months. Definitely an easier goal to attain.

Just a thought? Good luck to him.
    leannxo

Answer by leannxo at 7:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Ask him why he didn't register for new classes. Were the ones he wanted full or not offered in that quarter? Maybe he could work fulltime while he is off school. I wish him the best. Take care
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• thank to all who responded. We are looking at a trade school for him that he may want to do. It is a 2 year program. I do realize these are very hard years as a teenager. My 21 year old son is abut to graduate A@M an applied for law school. I never compare the two b/c I know everyone is different. just need to see soe kind of motivation in him. My brother said him going off to school may help and this is in Waco- 3 hours away. thanks all
    itzmarcy

Comment by itzmarcy (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If he seems lost and depressed, he just might be depressed and the best thing you can do is see if he'll get some therapy. The late teen years are the worst for males and depression.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It is normal for him to not know what he wants, and I have heard of people not going to school because they feel burnt out that the work was overbearing and the school did not help with their needs or their goals and he felt frustrated because he probaly has asked for help and was given the run around. My best answer is to ask him what he wants and support him in his decisions-be there when it counts and if anything try to avoid therapy if you suggest he see a therapist he will shut you out..
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 2:41 AM on Jan. 23, 2011