Blackheads...Yuck!

What's the best way to get rid of blackheads and tighten pores?

myree85

Asked by myree85 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• You can't 'tighten' pores... they are what they are. What you're seeing is oxidized sebum (skin oil), and what you need to do is clean the surface and stop it coming back. Initially, you may like to purchase something that will 'bleach' the oil --like 2% hydrogen peroxide, and use it as a toner, after cleansing and before moisturizing. Keep it away from your eyebrows and eyelashes, unless you're okay with them going golden blond --it is bleach, after all.

What you need to do is stop using pore-clogging products (pretty much every cleanser under $10, ditto for cheap moisturizers) and make sure you wash your makeup off every single day, before going to bed. Then wash your face again before putting more on in the morning. If you live somewhere with a lot of pollution, you might like to wear a good foundation (around the $30 mark) as a barrier between your skin and the dirty air.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• A sauna! They're wonderful for clearing pores. Also if you steam your face, wash it good, then cool it off, it's good for your skin. Steaming/heat opens your pores and cool temperatures (cool water) close them. I also exfoliate with a gentle cleanser.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't know but I hope you get some great answers. I have tried everything on my hubby.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks linda.. im going to try that, see if my skin can handle it.

Thanks for asking the question!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Hot steam and cold water to close them up.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have some blackheads to there is clean n clear that has stuff for the pores and for the blackheads and they have a benzoly peroxide gel for the face you can see a dermatologist and most of all drink plenty of water that will clear the skin and keep the skin blump.and a good oil free foudation like nutragena or clinique foudation
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 4:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would try some over the counter meds
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Nose strips, always wash face & use toner....go for occasional facial where the help remove professionally.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• LindaClement is right on!!
    I was out of toner and broke. I began using hydrogen peroxide and planned on doing it until payday. Well, payday came and went and I am still using it. My skin has had less blemishes since I've started doing it. Since my eyebrows have always been darker than my hair (naturally, not by anything I've done) I don't mine the bleaching of them, I consider it an added bonus.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• @ LindaClement what's a good moisturizer?
    myree85

Comment by myree85 (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2011