Is this selfish ?

I am a single mom to a 9 and 11 year old... I have been single since they were babies ( maybe 3 dates in 6 years) ...

But now I am starting to date ... I have 2 men that I have went on a few dates each with ( nothing serious just fun dating) ....

Now I am always with my kids... I go to work after I drop them off at school and come home when they are out of school... and so the only times I am EVER without them is when they are at school...

Do you think it is selfish to go out once a week for 2-3 hours at a time... ?

My best friend ( their God mother ) is the one who watches them , they rent a movie and eat pizza with their "cousins" ... and she thinks it is great that I am doing this...

But of course my family doesnt, and my mom even said i was being selfish for taking that much time for myself... I didnt think it was and I mean it isnt going ot last forever.... but now I do think that way since she said it.... do you ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• you are a better mom and person if you have some time for yourself - whether it is dating or a trip to a PG13 movie. Enjoy yourself!
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 12:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It is not selfish.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• NO......they are safe and having fun. You are a single mom thats needs to get out and relax! You sound responisble and like a great mom.....I think its totally fine
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't think it is selfish. You deserve to get out and get some time for yourself. You obviously care about your kids and I'm sure they are taken care of..so do what makes you happy.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• no i don't would it be selfish if you were in a relationship and taking 2 to 3 hours once a week no so why should it matter as a single mom.... you need that time to yourself and if you want to get back out to the dating curcite then go for it... my sis goes through the same thing with my mom... and i feel for her but then i say better you then me... but it's your life not theres.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• They get to see their cousins and have pizza!!! What kid does not love that!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You could have lunch with them, no?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No a movie and dinner is not hurting the kids.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• you owe it to urself and them to get a good break every so often.
    youre an adult, you take care of your children, you deserve to have fun and try
    to find love again. by you getting a break, you will feel refreshed and
    be a better mom. they need a break from you, too!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 12:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not selfish! I too am single mom of 3 kids and hve been single for years. I take time for myself more than that sometimes! You need to do this.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2011