What do you do when your child in high school.....

doesn't like to go to school. His grades are failing and he's waiting until he's 18 to get his license because he doesn't want to do the work.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Had I known how easy a GED is to get I would have not attended one day of high school it was a bad time for me.But my parents did not think that way.There are so many options.The same goes for college my son let one college professor ruin his entire college days.He quit,but also got a job that now instead of 4 or 5 years of college he has accomplished it all in one year.There are great teachers and professors out there and sadly there are horrible ones.Mine all got their high school diplomas.And 2 out of 3 have degrees in science,math and art.My son is now MIcrosoft Certified.He could open his own computer store if he wanted.But he still works for a major contractor for the goverment and the skys the limit.High school is tough,but not having that piece of paper is tough now a days. good luck.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You don't give in to them. Going to school is NOT an option and in our house we had a no negotiation policy. They did as they were told PERIOD and if they did not like those options then the day they turned 18 they were more than free to leave. Only 1 of my 4 sons chose to leave. He left the day he turned 18 and quit school the next day. Almost 5 years later he regrets thinking that he knew it all and wishes he'd stayed in school and at home. My other 3 probably hated the rules but they knew a good thing when they saw it...all they had to do was go to school, get good grades, work the last 2 years they were in high school & follow our rules and they had 3 meals and snacks every day, "free" cable & Internet & their rent was covered. Not a bad deal. My 22yo on the other hand got acrash course in bills and trying to find a job without a diploma,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sometimes the best option is compromise. High School can be a really great experience..or a terribly ugly one. Is there a chance you would consider an online acedemy to finsh. Make sure they are accredited. Letting him know you understand his frustration can go a long way. Draw a line in the sand though. He MUST finish HS, one way or another. Just find the way that works for you both.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He could also get his GED, that counts too. It says a High school diploma or GED. Or he could do an online school as the pp suggested. And he is going to have to do some work to get his license, they just don't hand them out to everybody who walks in the door and wants one. He'll get tired of having to stay home because no body can drive him, my bother was like that so my mom and everybody else in the house that could drive stopped jumping up every time he wanted to go somewhere and eventually he got the hint and passed the test.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• have you tried TALKING to him and LISTENING to his reasons for WHY he doesn't like to do the work? I mean there must be some reason for this- it seems strange he wouldn't want to get his lisence. Is it an eye problem-needs glasses? is it depression? is it a learning issue? if it is jsut pure laziness, then I guess come up with some sort of rules/consequences or something
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Make him get a job.  A few weeks working a minimum wage job might make college look really good.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• IF he is 16, let him drop out with the condition that he MUST get his GED or he has to get a fulltime job.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• why doesnt he like school? s he being bullied?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You need to have an overdue conversation with him. What are his plans for the next five years? College? Travel? Americorp? How does an education fit into these plans.
    I would tell him that if he is not enrolled in school on his 18th birthday, he needs to start paying rent or move out

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Sounds like depression. Never knew a kid that didn't want to get their driving license.
    booviemom

Answer by booviemom at 12:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2011