How do i wean my son?

So my son is 21 months old and he still sucks a bottle at night. He hasn't sucked a bottle in the day since he was 1, but he sucks about 5 bottles a night. How do I wean him off of them without causing him to be awake and crying all night?

Nicolenew

Asked by Nicolenew at 1:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try to give it to him like maybe 2 or 3 times the most at night and the less you give to him at night he wont want it any more
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• wow well it sounds like hes keeping you up all night anyway wanting a bottle. no judgment but you need to get that bottle away from him its not good on his teeth to be having a bottle at night at his age. I made my kids quit cold turkey when they turned one and my kids where bottle lovers but it made them sleep through the night once the bottle was gone. have you tried just putting water in it? maybe if he relizes hes only getting water he wont want it anymore. You may just have to find something else to sooth him with and throw all bottles out it will only be a night or two of crying for it. good luck mommy
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• pacifier maybe ... ? most pediatricians recommend it in cases like these. they are really as bad as we moms think they are
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I woudn't to be honest. How is his weight? I would bring it to the peds attention though, and request that they check his blood levels.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• There is a sippy cup that has a soft top like a bottle. He will love it verses the hard sippy cups. I got mine from Dollar general for 2 bucks. They sell them else where. It is perfect for weaning. My daughter thought it was a bottle b/c she kept trying to suck the soft top. This made the transition much easier.
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 2:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011