YMCA GYM

A friend and I were thinking about joining a YMCA gym in our area...I was wondering if anyone has ever had a membership there? Its a bit pricey but I'm wondering if its worth it.. any reviews would be helpful! Thanks

mrsrowland86

Asked by mrsrowland86 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• yes we did have a membership there. I used the gym a few times, but mostly my kids used it for all their free classes and such. I think the YMCA was great, they have a pool, lots of exercise equipment, free exercise classes, inexpensive dance classes. Lots of fun.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• We only had short term ones and we liked it. With the pool & everything, its awesome.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No...I want the YMCA one though...it's just too pricey for me at the moment =(
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 12:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I finally bit the bullet and joined after trying all the nearby less expensive gyms. Its the best money I've spent! I love the pool - can take the kids swimming in the winter - plus swim laps in the other pool. The classes are great - and the people are very nice. I've made some great friends, lost a ton of weight and have been going 2 years and don't plan on quitting anytime soon. I like being able to go to all the area YMCA's so if I've got something to do somewhere else, I am still able to workout.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 1:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I LOVE the Y. We have a family membershipt, its about $65 per month. The kids go in the child watch room for free while DH and I work out. Sometimes DH takes the kids swimming and I work out. We did swim classed for the kids too, but they are not free, they are at a discounted member price...same for the other kid classes. I haven't tried any of the adult classes (some are free) but would like to. Its a great atmosphere, lots to do, lots going on, and its not a meat market like many other gyms are. Its very family oriented. I highly recommend it. My only complaint it that its a 20 minute drive for us...I wish it was closer.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have onl ybeen a member of our rec center, which is similar to YMCA and I loved it, but it is expensive. If you KNOW you will go, and your family will get good use out of it, then it is worth it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I used to belong to one in my area. I liked it. It had great equipment and babysitting too. I could work out and swim, it was wonderful. They also offer discounts if you do not make a lot of money.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I worked in the child care center of the Y and all I can say is that they also have free access to their swimming pool & childcare if you need to bring along your children.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My husband had one years ago it expensive look online for easy @ home work out of go running goodluck!
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't have one close
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2011