How to get cat urine out of the couch?

My poor kitty got scared earlier and he dribbled a little pee on the couch =(. He has some anxiety (we rescued him) towards loud things, but my DD made a loud sound and he kinda freaked. I feel sorry for him, but we JUST bought this set not three months ago brand new... And I am kind of freaking out right now. What do we use to get the pee out? We've taken the cushions and covers out and the covers are in the wash right now. But what do we do about the cushions? We can't fit those in the washer! =(

The same thing happened with our old set, but everything we tried didn't work. He would continue urinating there after. Ugh!

Please no bashing. I just need help getting it out of the cushion. I don't nee d help or suggestions with my cat. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• White vinegar and water (half and half) will remove the smell. Make sure you scrub the cushion with maybe a pet stain remover and just spray the vinegar and water on it. It stink until it dries, but it works.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Well when my cat Lion dribbled on my carpet on accident My neighbor gave me a home remedy. She told me to use vinegar, baking soda, and dish liquid to clean the surface. It worked for me hopefully it will work for you.
    Hotchic11

Answer by Hotchic11 at 3:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I agree with amber. And I would invest in some Waterproof cover if you can find them, or even have them made if you need to. At least that would hopefully save the cushions.

I commend you for adopted a "needy" kitty, Good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I've tried vinegar in the past actually... I took a big bottle and just sprayed it down halving it with water. I also tried baking soda, ground coffee, all of the Lysol and Febreze in the world as well as Urine Be Gone or something of the sort.

Needless to say, it never stopped him from going there. >.<

TnT - Thank you. We were his 5th home in his first four months of life. He will be 3 in April. The poor kitty has some pretty major anxiety issues. I feel so bad for him =(. He always thinks something is going to get him or that he's going to be "replaced". =(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Once they pee on the couch it's hard to get them to stop...even if the first time was an accident. We had a cat that would do it every once in a while, we ended up just throwing out the couch because we couldn't get the smell out.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Poor kitty! It will be fine he needs some love,alot of love!! As for your problem,they make a spray that we can't smell but it drives cats away from it. I don't remember the name of it,but, I know it was not the stuff u already tried. I think it says cat repellent on the bottle. it is not harmful.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Look for a cleaner in the store that says something about being an enzyme cleaner, we have a local supply store that sells one, it's about $8.99 a quart there, but if you find it in your grocery store, it will be in a spray bottle and only cost about 4.00. The pet store also sells some enzyme cleaner-you can't beat it for urine(pets or people), or other body waste. It takes it completely away because it neutralizes the stuff you are spraying it on.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2011