what would u do if ur child was getting spit at?

My 3 yr. old niece has picked up a nasty habit of spitting at people when she gets upset. She has pretty much been spitting at my 4yr. old for the past 2 months. She spits at her face clothes or wherever it lands. Her parents tell her to stop but she does it again. How should I handle this? I really don't like telling people how to parent. My daughter gets very upset when she gets spit on, should I tell my daughter to defend herself somehow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would keep her away from the niece until the niece stops it. Her parents need to give her a timeout or something. No offense,but the kid sounds like a brat!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Avoid niece? I hate to tell my kids to hit family. That's a tough one.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Kids, especially ones this age, will eventually handle things themselves if the parents don't step in. If you and your brother/sister can't manage to get your niece to stop spitting on your kid she's probably going to start spitting back, or something else even more violent. And even if your child doesn't your niece's behavior is going to persist and likely progress to other kids to something worse like biting or hitting until another kid does decide to spit/bite/hit back. If you're not willing to stand up to your brother/sister on this then I would say you need to start keeping your daughter away from your niece.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 5:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No. You should sit down with your niece's parents and talk to them. Tell them you are so fed up with her spitting your child. And if they don1t do anything about it, than you are not too keen having that girl around your one. I would sit down with the niece and tell her, only good girls can stay in your house and there are different rules when she is with you and when she is in her parents. Tell her, in your house the rule is: there is no splitting. Because it is not nice, it hurts other people feeling and other people don't want to play with cheeky children. Tell her, if she keeps spitting you don't feel like you could look after her. Tell her, if she wants to spend time with you and your daughter she has to stop spitting. If she spits, take her home. She will learn that if she wants to be in your house than she has to follow your rules.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Don't tell to your child to defend herself because she will start to spit as well. And she will think it is good to do anything when she wants to defend herself. It will cause a lot of problem later. You can solve this problem if you set your rules in your house. If she wants to spend time in your house than she has to follow those rules. If she can't than take her home. Don't make your child miserable if someone else's child misbehave in your house. They don't have to be  there. They are the guests.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 9:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Does your daughter stay in the vicinity when she's getting spit at, or does she try to move away from her cousin? If she's not making any attempts to get away from her cousin, teach her to do that. The cousin may get the message "Hey, when I spit at Sally, she doesn't want to play with me." And yeah, I know your kid's name isn't Sally, I just picked a random name out of thin air. If she already knows to walk away, and her cousin constantly follows her so she can continue with the torture, then it's time for you to sit down with her parents and discuss what all of you can do about the situation.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think you should intervene since no-one likes being spit at and at three years old she still is little enough to teach her not to do something like that which is really disgusting. If she doesn't listen to her parents perhaps she will listen to you and you will help teach her right from wrong.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011