Anyone ever used medical marijuana for chronic pain? Upsides/downsides?

I know I may here many complaints and bashing but oh well.

Anyone ever use Medical Marijuana for Chronic pain? And if so what are the upsides/downsides? How well did it work compared to conventional pain meds relief?

I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis(similar to Rheumatoid arthritis) and Fibromyalgia that developed secondary) as well as Costcocondritis(inflammation of the Cartlidge of the Ribs). I have gone nearly 2 yrs now trying all the medications(minus pain meds) to attempt to get mainly my Arthritis(one causing the most pain) under control but not have been effective, i seem to have a resistant case. My rheumitoligist refuses to give me narcotics, purely because she does not believe they will work on inflammatory pain, BS(don't docs give you meds for inflammation all the time, sprain your ankle) And living in a smaller city it would be very difficult to find another doc.

So I am considering(don't really like the idea completely for moral reasons) of registering and trying MM. But I would love to know any experience with this and the success level of pain relief.

I am only looking for 1-3 hrs a week of relief, heck at this stage I would settle for 1 hr every 2 weeks, I just need some kind of break from the pain or my mind is going to go. I would love to go from my current 9-10/10 to a 5-6/10, that would be a huge relief.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• No, I don't use drugs, I am crazy enough without it. LOL
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Can you do morphine shots? If the pain is that bad I am not sure that medical marijuana will help with the pain.  I have a friend that had to go through chemo and that was the only drug that helped her with the pain.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I currently have a doc that doesn't do pain meds, i can't figure out why, maybe because I am only 25? I live in a fairly rural area so finding another specialist would be very difficult w/out traveling 300+ miles. I am moving in the summer to Seattle partly for the job opportunities but also because they are doing research on Psoriatic arthritis and I am hoping to participate in some studies.

It seems like many doctors are fine handing out pain meds to older patients that are obviously abusing yet when it comes to a younger patient they are reluctant. which I can understand to a point, but do I have to live in this pain because I happen to be affected by this at a younger age? (statistically it's onset is more in the 30's or 40's)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• my dog maryjane so i don't think i need smoke anything at the moment
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My son has dealt with excrutiating pain off and on for the past year. He started using marijuana and while it didn't take the pain away completely, it took the edge off of it! He smoked a little every three hours or so, sometimes just a couple of puffs, and it made life a whole lot easier for him and me! LOL
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would be finding a new Dr. Sounds like yours isnt allowed to prescribe pain meds. Maybe THEY have abused them in the past. I hope you find releif anyway you can soon
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have RA, OA, Fibro, ankling spondylitis and a few other auto immunes. I am very familiar with chronic pain.  I have a hard time with alot of meds and pain pills as break out in hives, lips swell up, vomiting.  I would absolutely tell you to apply for your card and try MM.  Chronic pain will make you crazy.  It does help you relax enough to sleep,  Real medical marijuana is grown specifically to help with pain.  Its different then stuff you just get off the street.  Can you get addicted? Is cravin to be pain free mean your addicted? Anyone can be addicted to anything.  My sister died from pain pill addiction from the extreme pain of Lupus.  I tell people unless you have lived one day in my shoes....do not judge me.  MM is NOT illegal drugs.  You have to have prescription for it. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• never used it Im high On life :)
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Truelove77 using medical marijuana is completely different then using it to get high. You can get high on prescription drugs. When you are in chronic pain it helps cut the edge so you do not have to become addicted to things like morphine, somas, vicodin etc. You have no clue and should keep answers like you get high on life to yourself. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011