How do you get a toddler off of diapers at night when he wears underwear during the day?

Mrs.Kika

Asked by Mrs.Kika at 3:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It takes times,but it can be done. All kids r different. If he has total control over his bowels and bladder then I would say try underwear at night. I think some moms keep diapers on the kid because they don't want to have to clean it if the child does not wake up to go to the bathroom. Why don't u put pull ups on him instead of diapers?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Are the diapers dry in the morning? Is the only urine from first thing in the morning? If so, you can try going cold turkey. You might have a couple of wet nights, but he'll figure it out. Take him to the bathroom as soon as he wakes up. You can also take him a couple of hours after he goes to sleep, so he knows it's okay (even expected) to get up in the middle of the night to go. Praise him when he goes, and then out him back to bed. He'll get there. Just be patient and consistent, and maybe put down a rubber sheet for a few nights. You can do this!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had to take away the pull ups completely (I didnt use diapers).. but my DD acted as if the pull up WAS a diaper and would pee in it everytime she was wearing one, even if she was accident free all day long in her undies. Everyone does things differently, but my suggestion is to get a mattress protector and deal with the laundry that comes along with it because that's probably going to be your best bet.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe his bladder is not mature. I have co-worker, her son is 5 years old and still needs pull-ups at night.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Boys take awhile to night-train sometimes. They have a reflex (or something??) that matures slower than girls. My son is 4 & still wears pull-ups at night, he has been day trained for 2 years! I have given up trying things, he will do it one day when he's ready. At least they are day trained, right?
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2011