how to stop bottle feeding in toddlers and let them start using a glass for drinking milk?

desire1234

Asked by desire1234 at 3:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know this sounds harsh but I've found that it works. You just toss the bottles. Don't even make them an option and eventually (not usually longer than a day or 2) they will start using the method you want.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I also agree with @2murphyboys, Just throw the bottles away/sippys away. This was posted in 3-4 yr olds so I'm assuming thats how old your little one is so they should be more than ready. I took the bottle away at 18 months with my girls and took the sippys away at 3 or 3 1/2 yrs. Good Luck (:
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I threw bottles away on their 1st birthday. By the age of three, they didn't need the sippy cups any longer. We have a few still in the house that I use when they are sick.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Get rid of the bottles so you're not tempted to use them when he whines for one. "Sorry sweetie, but if you want a drink, you'll have to use a cup."
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Assuming your child is in that 3 to 4 yr range, give a little warning that the bottles are for babies and are going away. Have him/her help you pack them up to send off. When they're gone, they're gone. Admittedly, we still use cups with straws (my son is 3) because they come in handy for travel so we keep them around. He uses regular cups most of the time.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Introduce the sippy at 6 months so you don't have that problem. Since you posted this in the 3-4 yo category, I assume your 3-4 yo is still on a bottle - at that age, throw the bottles away and deal with the whining for a few days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Throw them away. Cold turkey. We introduced the sippy cup at 6 months and by 8 months he was bottle free.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I agree! Throw the bottles away!! It is the most liberating thing ever LOL
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 9:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Throw them away!
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• at this age 3 and 4 year olds should NOT use bottles!! my son has not been using a bottle by the time he was 2 he was using cups
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011