Lassie is a GIRL?!?

Since German is my native language I spend like 27 years of my life thinking of Lassie a boy. Until I met my husband, who is English, and he introduced me to the expressions of "lads and lassies"! LMBO!
Another funny one is this: When I moved to the Netherlands and couldn't speak Dutch yet, my husband would say things like: "The buurman is doing this or that. Or The buurman says 'hi' ". And I thought that was his NAME .... Luckily it didn't take long before I found out that "buurman" means literally "neighbour" lol
Do you have any mistunderstanding you carried for years? Wanna share?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 6:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• lol momma
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• huh ! I always thought of Lassie as a girl...I never really gave much consideration to the sex of the dog, just assumed it was a girl....maybe its because I knew about lads and lass ??? that's interesting.

I know I've had plenty of misunderstandings of that nature but I just can't bring them to mind at the moment.... I never heard the term buurman !

I think the English have some pretty interesting words different from ours though....I love it....my daughter's therapist is English and I know I've said a good many times to her "pardon? what's that mean?" lol
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• LOL that is funny ... truly I always though lassie was a boy and I knew of lads and lassies lol but I can def. see how that would be confusing
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 11:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011