5 yr old refuses to use the potty

ok so, a few days ago my son,5, was watching a movie. he pooped and peed himself...this has been on going for quite sometime, and im so over it. anyways, we asked him why, and he said he didn't want to miss the movie. i changed him, told him if he did it again, he would lose EVERY toy, movie, anytyhing and everything from his room and this house! and he ca earn it back.
last night he was at my mother house, they brought him back and within an hour he pooped and peed his pants......he was sitting at kitchen table coloring when he did it....

my question is, has anyone ever done this? and did it make any difference?

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 6:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't done this, but been in a similar position.
    First let me tell you, that I have doubts what you're trying to do will work. Because the first time probably was just a stupid accident, that wasn't nessecary, but happened anyway. (I remember when I was little I once held my pee for so long because I didn't want to leave the sandbox, that when I finally went my tummy hurt so bad and I could hardly hold in my stonack to open the button of my pant. lol Kids are weird sometimes.) Then you threatened him to take his toys away. He might have been so intimidated by that that he literally wets his pants. OR he's having a power trip and found a pretty good way to make mommy mad. What fun.
    When my dd just had turned 2 she'd poop in her diaper and I just had that gut feeling: "You know better than that, girl." Due to a lot of hits I got from her, that she was actually ready. But it was a funny little game to annoy mom and get ...
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i know its b/c he is lazy. and i have tried everything else. nothing has worked, and to be honest, hes gonna start doing his own damn laundry! hes ruined his mattress b/c he will pull the plastic off or back when he sleeps. with this and his atitude towards me and his father, im ready to send him to live with his grandmother!
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You could always mention it to his Dr.
    OR just start from basics again, remind him to go to the bathroom like ever 30 min or so maybe he is just getting distracted or something and forgetting to go.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Does he have a younger sibling who is still going in a diaper? It's very common for older children to do it if they see a sibling getting it and are jealous that that's not them any more really. If so just introduce you're the older sibling and how big they are. It will also just be a phase.

leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ... cleaned up and be treated like a baby. Sometimes even fighting me off while cleaning. What a mess!
    Most of the time she had to poop after breakfast and I'd put her on the potty. She would hold it until she got the diaper back on and then do it. -Once we were at my parents house and I thought: "I'll get you." I let her play until I heard the familiar call "moooooommy!" And I told her that she's a big girl now and if she thonks she still has to poop in her diaper she shall clean it up herself. "But it's dirty, mom!" I helped her undress, stand her in the bath tub, gave her wet wipes and a waste bin and left. Of course I peeped around the corner. lol It was a mess and she was pretty disgusted. After a while I went back in and helped her. Then showered her shortly with COLD water. Because "poo needs to be cleaned up cold, hun". After that ... no more accidents. Sometimes youu have 2 b cruel 2 b kind.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i do have a 5 week old, BUT this started way before i even knew i was pregnant. maybe baby has made it worse, but it hasn't changed any i don't think, just the same crap over and over...no pun intended!
    i have made him clean it up, he don't care. i talked to his dr, they don't care or they don't see anything wrong with him.
    we have tried starting from basics. he just doesn't care. but im getting sick of it! if i take all his stuff, the next step will be him not wearing any pants or underwear, he knows enough not to crap on my floor! well, i would hope so. I DON'T KNOW!!!!
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 7:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Is he at school? Does he do this while he is there? If he is not at school than send him to pre-school. He will learn from the other children that peeing and pooing the pants is not cool anymore.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• hes in kindergarden. and he does not do it at school.
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 8:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• of course he is in school for only 2 hours!
    mama2bof2

• You just answered you question, you have a new baby in the house. This is completely normal. I know it sucks, but this too shall pass. He's adjusting, and might be feelng a bit left out.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011