SHould we give thank you cards for tips?

DH and I deliever newspapers everyday and for Christmas we gice out cards to all of our customers. We got alot of cards back with tips and gift cards and someone even left us a summer sausge! We didn't give thank you notes last year and we noticed that we didn't get back as much this year and wonder if it is beacuse we didn't do that. Should we give thank you cards or is it wierd?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 6:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Holidays

• as a big believer in tips, giving and receiving them, i think a thank-you card for anything is fine. i'm sure not all of your route customers gave gifts/tips. and why not give a card at the holidays? i always did when i worked in the salon, to all my clients-regulars and those who only visited the salon a few times a year. its a gesture of appreciation for their business, nothing more. if the customer chooses to tip you for doing do, that's their business.
    acknowledging good customer service works on both sides of the thrown newspaper...or barber-chair.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thank you cards for their being your customers? The cards are a request for tips. So it depends on whether getting the tips is worth it to you.

Answer by Bmat at 7:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Do you mean thank you cards for the gifts/tips they gave you? If so I think that's a lovely idea and I'd carry it on!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would say yes, most of them won't expect it but it is still a very nice gesture.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sending a thank you card is never wierd. Not sending one is bad manners. Any gift you receive, and tips are a gift, should be acknowledged with a thank you card. And, you are right about the reason you didn't get as many this year. If a service person has the audicity to "remind" me that they should receive a holiday bonus, then doesn't send a thank you, many people will not give a bonus again. They had time to send the request, but not a thank you. That just says they only sent a card to get something back.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2011