Is it knowledgable to be fearful?

If you fear your Lord, how does this help you to learn? While I can see how it helps you to "stay in line" with his demands and ideas of morality....how does this help you to learn and understand OTHERS? Or is this not a priority within your life?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Being constantly fearful about the afterlife and your Lord will help you to try to get to know people and to realise that our life on this earth is temporary and we must make the most of it. Including learning and understanding the people with live on this earth with. That's how I see it. I try to make the most of every single day - no regrets.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• "Fear of the Lord" means respect, reverance and awe.

Those are not mutually exclusive to intelligence.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't believe faith or love has any place for fear.... Isn't there a verse that actually says that?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Neurosis, just inches away from psychosis.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• "Neurosis, just inches away from psychosis. "

How does this answer my question?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Why the rude comments?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think that fear is one of our basic instincts and helps us learn right from wrong. Fear is a deterrent. We have a large military and the death penalty partly for this reason. Now, is that the same kind of fear that I have for God-not really, its more of a reverance (sp). I don't fear that God will strike me in the back of the head with a lightening bolt, but I do fear not living up to the potential God gave me, of letting him down or not properly using his gifts.

As far as the rude comments- I think there have been quite a few questions recently that border on the offensive, just being honest.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I did not ask those questions though soyousay. So if people could not generalize ALL questions with opposing view points as "offensive" that would be nice. Otherwise, why do people bother to even read questions here? If people are going to choose to be offended right off the bat, then don't open the question.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not you in particular but the tone here lately has shifted from trying to understand to that of ridicule. I have seen a number of questions that are spin offs of one line from another post- sometimes taken out of context. It looks like this to me- I will use an analogy from my work as a teacher- some kid in class says or does something that others can use to ridicule them, rather than address it in class or keep it among the class its spread among the whole school-not as news but rather to poke fun or further ridicule the student. That is just my opinion and not aimed at any one person, but the tone on here in general from my POV.

As far as why people open a question just to be pissed- who knows- moth to the flame maybe?
    I am not offended or upset- I just think the tone has moved from understanding or getting info and opinions to "haha-look how dumb these people are"

CONT

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I only see questioning of the Bible and related beliefs- no one is taking lines from the Torah or Qur'an or any other religious text or belief and saying "what about this" or "how can this be". I have read quite a few questions on here and skipped the majority because they are a no win type of thing.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2011