So we see a lot of these brave women who go for natural childbirth... anybody out there pain-phobic like me?

When I found out I was pregnant with my DD, one of the first conversations DF & I had was childbirth. I think my exact words were, "Drugs for me, please!" DF replied, "Good. I hate seeing you in pain, & I like having a usable hand, thanks very much." I admire the moms who can go without, or are at least brave enough to try, but I definitely wasn't one of them! Ended up being a moot point, since I never went into labor- I had to have an emergency c-section. What about you?

KA91

Asked by KA91 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm with you!! I wanted to not have to feel anything, but unfortunately it did not turn out that way. My first, born 18 yrs ago in 13 days, I received one shot, (spinal block?) she was so big that it wore off by the time I actually pushed her out and OUCH! My 2nd, it took forever to get the epidural and by the time they put it in I was in PAIN. Unfortunately they accidentally put the saline solution in the tube rather than the medicine and by the time they realized it she was coming out, so I guess you can say natural child birth there. lol And my 3rd, the tube in the epidural was not dripping properly so the medicine kept wearing off and it took, what seems forever, for them to come back in and push another shot through. This happened at least 3 times and by the last shot, I was about to push her out and was in excruciating pain, but finally had relief before pushing her out.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Two induced labors (medical issues for me), Two epidurals, Two happy healthy kids, no troubles.... Life is good!!! ;o) I hear ya on the pain thing... since I had never so much as broken a bone before that! I did however have a 3 hour long consultation with a friend who is an anesthesiologist so I was VERY well informed going in. I wouldn't have done it any other way if I had to do it all over again ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• So you never felt any Labor pains with your first pregnancy? Are you having anymore kids?
    I had a c-section with my first. But I was in labor for like 12 -24 hours before they took my DD.
    Second I went natural. No bigy.

Answer by louise2 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i have had two natural births and am ready to pop with my third and final baby...i dont do epidurals because i am more scared of them messing something up with the epidural than i am of the labor pains. plus once it is over i am able to get up and walk or whatever with out having to wait to feel my body again...i am not against taking meds at all...i am jsut scared of them sticking something in my spine....lol....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I made it 17 hours without meds and then finally got an epidural ar 21 hours which stopped working 3 times and at 27.5 hours they knocked me out for an emergency c-section so it was kinda all natural even though I wanted some pain management. Lol
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 8:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had an epidural with dd. I don't think I could have gone without one honestly.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• induced with my first< medical issues> and it was bliss..... 2 failed epidurals with my second and it still wasnt that bad.. te worse part was the 3rd degree tearing.... i havent decided which way ill be going for baby #3 depends n what hospital i deliver at
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 8:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have had 3 kids with no pain meds nothing. The 1st I had at 17 last at 41. Fir the small amount of hours that I was in labor 6 each for the 1st 2 and 12 for the 2nd I didn't think it was something I wanted to do, Did it hurt sure it did but I just rode it out and I really don't liuke pain but it wasn't something I couldn't do
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I knew the minute I got pregnant that I would probably end up having an epidural. I am a huge baby when it comes to pain. The epidural ended up being a good thing, too, since I also had to have an emergency C-section not long after I got it.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:12 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I was pain-phobic too - but when your epidural fails you have no choice but to do it natural! Happened twice over! Then I had one so fast there wasn't time for pain meds or anything. So 3 naturals in a row. When #4 came around, I told the anesthesiologist about the first 3, and he made sure the epidural worked - and boy did it! Had an awesome epidural with #5 too - I was laughing and joking around when I was in transition, my midwife loved it! But in the end, I am sooooo glad I got to experience it both ways - and going drug free the first time is the way to do it IMO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jan. 3, 2011