my 5 month old only drinks about 4 bottles a day almost 7 oz each is that ok?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 8:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why it wouldn1t be? Does he look like hungry? Or you feel it is not enough? If he looks like a happy baby and he doesn1t want to eat more, than yes, it is ok. Babies eat how much they need. And if it is not enough you give them they will cry your head off:P So if your baby boy is a happy baby than you are doing well, mommy:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If you are concerned, start to give him baby rice. You can mix it with his milk, plus give him milk to drink. So you can be sure he eats enough. But babies do cry when they need something. And they have different cries for everything. If he doesn't cry than he is fine. Try the baby rice:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sounds about right I guess, but every baby is different. If you wanted to add a little something in there I would try the rice..but in a bowl with a spoon and not just throwing it into the bottle. Also, it couldn't hurt right now to maybe introduce a fruit or a veggie once a day inbetween one of the meals (Maybe the later meal).. is he sitting up yet or atleast almost to that point yet? A majority of babies are ready to be introduced around 6 months and your just about there anyways.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• As long as her or she is pooping and peeing enough diapers then you have nothing to be concerned about. Like the above said all babies are different...SO TRUE haha. And also like the above said introducing cereal to your babies diet at 5 months if great. I started all 3 of my babies on cereal when they were 2-3 months old. Although a lot of mothers wouldn't agree but my babies did fine and are all healthy now.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 9:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• lol sorry I guess I should have added more to the story.. she is a happy baby I give her as much as she wants it's just weird only giving her 4 bottles a day I am use to a lot more than that but it was smaller amounts.. I have given her cereal a few times she doesnt mind it but i had to switch her formula and her poop seems to have thickend up and I don't want her backed up so I stopped the cereal but I am slowly giving her fruits and veggies to make sure she goes regular.....

no she isn't hungry it just seems like 4 bottles isn't much but they are 7 ozs and she is growing like a weed :)
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• yes she has been sitting up for a couple weeks now
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• 4 bottles at 7 ounces each equals 28 ounces per day. The recommended total formula intake is 24-32 ounces per day, so I would say that she is getting enough. Thicker bowel movements are normal when solids are introduced, as long as it isn't hard and dry it's fine. Also, my dd had an issue with rice at first, too. She couldn't process it at all and so I gave her the oatmeal. It has some fiber and she did much better with that. Cereal isn't absolutely necessary as long as your LO is getting enough iron (cereal is a good way to supplement that), but if you want to give it, oatmeal is a good option. Fruits and veggies are great for first foods, though, and you can continue doing without cereal if you want.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2011