Is it illegal to leave a locked car running?

Just to warm it up. Its been really cold outside and I hate taking my daughter to school in a cold van. Can I start the car, lock the doors and go inside and watch though a window? Or will I get a ticket?
I live in Virginia???
thanks

ellegrl

Asked by ellegrl at 8:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Travel

• I always start my car before we get in, we're in Ohio. I don't think it's illegal?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Best thing is to call your local police departmemt. Ask them.

Answer by louise2 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I do the same thing and I live in Ohio to. I've never heard of that being illegal.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't think so, since you are doing it to warm up the car, and the doors are locked, and your child isn't in the car; that would definitely be a problem . In Florida, since there were so many cars being stolen at convenience stores, there's now a law that you can't leave the keys in your car, running or not.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If my truck is running and in park, I cannot open the door and then lock it behind me! I guess it's to prevent you from locking your keys in the car (in case you don't have a code on the door panel??) But ... No, I don't think it's "illegal"!
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 8:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I dont know if its illegal, but I sure do it!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• nope
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I hope not as long as you are not leaving your child in there I think it's fine. I have electronic start that I can start my car from inside any building so it can be warmed up when I get in there.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I am in Kansas and as far as I know there is nothing against it if the car is sitting in your own driveway and you feel comfortable doing it (I always do).. But say if your running into a gas station or what not it is illegal to leave the car running while you go in real quick. My hubby learned that the hard way on his way to work one morning he ran in the store to pay for a coffee and a cop jumped his butt about it lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The city we live in is an idle free city meaning that you could get a ticket if yo allow your car to idle. This even goes for if you are sitting in the car however since it has been well below zero recently I'm sitting at the bus stop with my van running
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 8:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2011