Has anyone seen the new ASPCA commercial?

It's the very sad commercial that shows sad looking animals - tells their name & how they've been neglected & abused. I get the tactic they're using- tugging at our hearts- but it's breaking my poor dau's heart! She cried the 1st time she saw it. Now we change the channel. I have a dog that I adopted from the Humane Society, so I get it. But to make small children (& grown ups too) cry- not fair! I love animals & wish I could rescue them all. But then we'd be featured on "Animal Horders"!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I agree that they are sad, but I think they are for a good cause. Most people have no friggin clue what the poor animals go through. I agree though that I would rather go and donate money/food/supplies to my local shelter(s) because that way I know exactly where my contributions are going. Like others have said, with the amount of times they show the commercials every day, you have to wonder how much of your money is actually going to the animals. Also, if they do sell your info to PETA, I definitely want NO part of it! PETA (and the HSUS) kills sooo many HEALTHY/adoptable animals every year and they want to take our rights to have pets away from us!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yes, the commercials are emotion filled. They are supposed to make you feel bad enough to donate money to them. I used to until they sold my name to PETA. When I started getting donation requests in the mail from PETA I stopped with the ASPCA. Instead I will donate goods anonymously to local shelters. After all, they don't have the same resources that ASPCA has and they can't afford to produce a guilt laden commercial to play during prime time.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have no respect for this kind of advertisement, it is not child friendly and could easily cause nightmares. But they don't care about our kids feelings, as long as, they think their tactics can get them some cash. Why not show show the animals going from not cared for to how contributions can help, before and after? Sarah McLaughlin's dog is WELL cared for, of course, she has millions, that is whole other subject, and she has lots of cash to contribute, most of us DON'T!

I really do feel bad for abused animals we adopted back in June, I had to pay 115.00 to adopt. But more important, we have children who need help! jmo~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My dd is 8 and she was begging me to send them money. I said we have 3 dogs we are feeding now..."But what about those poor sad looking pooches???" she asked me. I hope it works and they get the money they need but it is a sad commercial!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I hate that commercial. My 5 yr old also wanted us to send money and I told her we have 2 dogs we have to feed ourselves so no. I think their tactic is wrong. Everyone knows what they raise money for and if we can send it we would. I have considered writing to them and telling them I hate their commercial.

Answer by gemgem at 9:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The point of the commercial is to get your attention and make you want to help. If they showed all the animals frolicking in the sunshine, happy as can be, people would be less likely to send money.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I cry everytime I watch it. Especially the one with the little Shih-tzu. I lost my precious Shih-tzu in May, and I still have a hard time seeing one.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I hate those commercials. We have 4 cats and a dog, all from one shelter or another. I know it's really true but some of them just go overboard. They make me want to change the channel not go out and rescue an animal.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• As someone who rescues animals, I have seen too much, first hand. Too sad.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I've seen it...they're ALL so sad..my daughters like "In the arms of the Angels" because of it...
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 9:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011