can I cook beans and rice together in the crockpot??

I asked yesterday and only got one reply. I soaked the beans overnight. can I stick then and thw rice in the crockpot together? Or do they need to cook separately?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would change out the water, and then cook the rice with the beans on the stove. I know that brown rice takes a little longer to cook than white - but I'd guess you're an hour away from a good meal! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would cook the beans until they were almost tender and then add the rice. Most of the recipes in my crock-pot book start with canned beans, and it will take your beans longer to cook than it will the rice. When your beans are almost done, then add the rice and cook for another hour or so, depending on the type of rice you are using. If you are using the quick-cooking kind, it won't take very long at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i'm using brown rice and the beans were dried, not canned. they have been soaking more than 8 hours. Shall I change out the water and start cooking them? so skip the crockpot then and use the big pot on the stove??
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I agree with Scuba, just use a pot on the stove. Crock pots and rice aren't the greatest combination; you always have to add the rice about an hour before the dish is done, which IMO defeats the purpose of using a crock-pot in the first place.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• What kind of beans are they? If you're using kidneys, they HAVE to boil on the stove for a little while before going in the crock pot. Any other bean can go straight in the crock pot with fresh cooking water. Add the rice once the beans are done to your liking, as the rice cooks way faster. Nothing wrong with doing it in the crock pot, just don't overcook the rice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I didnt do the crockpot, just the big pot on the stove. my crockpot is only 2 quarts and wont fit everything lol. thanks ladies for your help! so far so good. I soaked the red beans overnight, cooked them for about an hour then added the rice, and am letting it cook for about 30 minutes, gonna check on them, them another 30 or 4 minutes.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2011