Ideas on how to prepare my 2 yr old girl for her baby sister coming in 6 weeks

Anyone have some good book suggestions? Tomorrow is my 34 week appointment and I wanted to run to the bookstore & get her a couple of new books to help her welcome baby. I've already got "Baby on the Way" and "I'm a Big Sister" but those are getting old to her, I think. I want something that will help her not feel so left out when the time comes, because I will need a c-section and I'll be gone for 4 days (of course she'll visit me in the hospital but it will be the 1st time away from mommy overnight). Also, any suggestions for a gift I can give her from the baby? She's very welcoming so far... she constantly kisses my belly and talks to her and tries to give baby cheetos or pennies through my bellybutton :D but when the time actually comes and she sees how much time a newborn takes away from her, I don't want her to feel left out or resentful. For you 2nd time mommies... what did you do to prepare #1?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• A trip to the Dollar Store is in order! I had a "goodie bag" full of inexpensive toys I had picked up at the Dollar Store or off craigslist. That way I could pull out a new toy every couple days for the first few weeks when I needed a few minutes with the new baby. Also, include her in whatever you are doing with the new baby - make nursing sessions for baby "book time" for your 2 year old so she can snuggle with you too while you read, let her pull the wipes out of the box when you're changing baby (if you use wipes), let her help bring you a diaper or ask her if baby should wear the green or yellow sleeper, etc.
    I had 2 that were 18 months apart, and 2 more that were 20 months apart. It wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Hope it goes well for you too!

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• OH, the best thing to buy her a baby doll, and nappies, and a pram for the doll. So she can do everything with you when the baby is here. She can play the baby's mummy and she will be so happy she is like mom:) You can show to her before your baby comes how to hold a baby, how small are they, how to feed them, how to change their nappies. So she can feel in the real life what is going on. She will be so happy and proud of herself with those toys:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think you are worrying needlessly. As long as you talk in terms of "we" are having a new baby, she will be fine. The transition is so much easier than what you seem to be anticipating. None of our children ever missed a beat when the new babies arrived, and we really did not do much at all to "prepare" them. It was just a natural progression for us and for them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i didn't do much to prepare my oldest either when my second was on the way. she was 2 as well. i did read her "im a big sister" and a few other books, and she was slightly excited. she didn't like the baby at first, infact, the day she visited us in the hospital she threw an empty tissue box at her head lol! but now they are 4 and 2 and the best of friends. it took some time for her to adjust to not being the baby anymore, but i included her in helping me with the baby. i asked her to get a towel to dry her off after a bath, diapers, help me hold her bottle, etc. it took some time for her to come around, but it eventually happened.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• and also, once a week or as often as i could i asked my mom to babysit the newborn so i could do something special with just my oldest. we went to the park for an hour, or went for ice-cream or lunch just the 2 of us. that way she still had me to herself sometimes. :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I didn't really prepare my daughter but she was also to young to understand my kids are 1 year and 18 days apart. But I think your daughter will be fine as long as you include her in "helping" with the baby
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The best thing about newborns is how much they sleep! Try to share some cuddle time with your daughter during one of those naps and give her some quiet time (with books or a video) during another.

Best advice I got when I had my oldest was not to be too quiet during naps or else they'll need absolute silence later on. A little background noise is fine and you won't have to shush your older child.

Good luck!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 11:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2011