• In the Spotlight:

My son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD, and has been prescribed Adderall. Does anyone have any comments from previous experiences from the drug?

prettyeyedmommy

Asked by prettyeyedmommy at 10:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know personally but my boyfriend is ADD and he took it in high school he became very addicted to it. I have heard a lot of bad things about it, but also good. i guess it depends on the person and your experience.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my advise is dont use it. how old is your son? People attend to get addicted to it. it was given to my son when he was 5. it made him seem like a zombie he just wasnt himself. We pulled him off of it quickly. we have chosen not to medicate him. you can by all natural calming agents that help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My son is ADD and takes Aderall. Before he started on it he got kicked out of 6 daycares.Finally got one of them to take him back after I put him on meds. Someone that tries to teach him everyday will know the difference between a child that needs meds and the ones that dont.When he was younger he had to take the blue pills, one in the morning and one at lunch. He did great on them. Where before he could not sit still in class and was not able to focus at all. He went on to be in the gifted and talented and an A-B honor roll student. As he got older he had to switch to the extended relief(didnt work when he was younger, never understood this) and he is doing good and making good grades now in high school.
    Anonymous

• My older son was on ritalin and it caused him to feel like and act like he was a zoombie. He never did well in school and was never happy on the meds.So I have come to the belief that each medicine works differently on each child. And possible can be a wonderful thing for the right child.Watch your child closely and you will need the help of the childs teachers. There input is the key to finding the correct med.
    Anonymous

• I have a degree to work with special needs children, and worked with many ADHD children. A lot of time they are over prescribed, and not truely ADHD. Adults think kids around age 5 should sit for hours on end and listen. It is not in their nature. If he is zombie like, chances are he doesn't need the med or the dosage is too high. I can't make an educated explaination without knowing all the details, how he acts every day, is he a danger to himself and others, as in violent and doing things that could hurt him and he doesn't understand...etc. I was the poster child for ADHD my mum said and she did not agree with putting me on meds....25 years ago. She put me in gymnastics, found a release for my energy. I wasn't an easy child but I turned out just fine. Question me more if you would like
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Don't medicate!
    Anonymous

• How was the diagnosis determined? Many kids are misdiagnosed, but some like mine, have many disabilities and need it to function normally. My son is currently on Adderall XR among other medications. I worked in special education myself for over 8 years with children of all sorts of disabilities. Medication is a last resort, not a quick fix. Adderall in too high of a dose makes your child worse! They will keep up-ing the dosage thinking it will help or want to add another drug to compensate. Be very careful and do your own reasearch. You are your child's best advocate, not teachers or doctors. Watch and monitor your childs behaviors. When they act out, what were they doing, what had they eaten. Children with ADHD can also be controlled with diet to an extent. Any foods with artificial flavorings and colorings, especially Red dye #40 will make your kid skyrocket.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sugar does not make a kid with true ADHD more hyper. Caffeine does the opposite effect on ADHD kids. It calms them down. However, some medications like Adderall you cannot give a kid too much caffeine or it will give them heart palpitations and other complications. The only thing that works for ADHD is not just relying on medication, but structure, consistency and positive-redirective discipline along with therapy/counseling.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My son was 5yrs old when he was diagnosed with ADHD in April 2008. I was terrified about putting him on medicine (he suffered a stroke before birth) but everything else we tried wasn't working. He wasn't happy, he wanted to play with his friends and learn but he couldn't, he just sat and played w/blocks and trains. Dr. put him on adderall xr 10mg, I cried everyday, but we gave the medicine 2weeks to get into his system. Now he is almost 6 and is in Kindergarden, he has friends, and he is learning to read. We keep his routine simple and his class is very structured, which is VERY important for a child w/ADHD. Medication dosen't work for all kids, and sometimes the medicine is more for the parents then the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my son is 7 and he is on Straterre , its a NON-STYMULANT and he is not a zombie, he is focused at school better and easier at home too, this is not a addictive drug, he is on 18mg, there is one side affect tho at first and thats abdonimal pain but take it with food and its not so bad and in time my son doesnt even have the pain,once in a great while he will tell me his belly hurts.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2009