Does a 13 yr old really need a laptop computer?

She already has a computer in her room, does it make sense to buy her a laptop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't give my 13 year-old a computer in her room. But no... one computer is enough.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Tell her, either the computer or the laptop. I wouldn't buy a laptop for her because she would be on it all the time and she could carry out of the house. Which means she could leave it somewhere or someone could steal it. If she has a PC than why does she need a laptop. I feel like spoiling a child... But everyone has their own ways.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Mine will... they have to have a laptop in High School here... school requires it!! (our HS starts with 8th grade)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Wait til her computer needs to be replaced and then replace it with a laptop. That's what we did. I do like that my oldest can take it with us to the library and on trips. Laptops are so powerful these days and their size is more convenient.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No, and no computer in her room....

My daughter is not allowed to be on the computer unless, I am in the room. So, I can see everything she is doing, there are so many prediators out there, and cruel kids in the world......

I won't tolerate it.... or give anyone a chance....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'd give mine one if she wanted one but that's just me.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would give my son one because at thirteen he was mature but that would be a pc or a laptop.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• **I forgot to mention that the Internet on the laptop will be restricted and password protected so she will only have Internet access when and where we allow - that is super important no matter where her computer is!!!** You all realize you can do that to your kids computers right??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Mine had both. I had the desk top in the family room and then when laptops came around they just got one each for their rooms. My kids all got computers at around 12-14 yrs old. Now my 10 and 5 yr old have one of their own (they share) but not both a desk top and laptop.

Answer by gemgem at 11:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If it were up to me there would be NO computer at all. This is my step daughter and she was already caught bullying a girl on facebook, calling her nasty names and saying things like she gets her clothes out of the trash. So my opinion is that she is not mature enough to have a computer and internet. But her mom seems to have no problems with it. What really makes me worry is the lap top has a web cam and what she may do with that. This weekend she was apparently taping me while I was in the kitchen and didn't tell me until later. I think this whole laptop thing is just asking for trouble.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011