Has anyone read this book?

I found another book that shows some parallels between two religions that I want to add to my to-read list. Just wondering if anyone else has already read it and what opinion you have about it.

It seems to compare parallel passages from the Bible and Bhagavad Gita in order to show the unity of all religions.

Sri Yukteswar writes:
The purpose of this book is to show as clearly as possible that there is an essential unity in all religions; that there is no difference in the truths inculcated by the various faiths; that there is but one method by which the world, both external and internal, has evolved; and that there is but one Goal admitted by all scriptures.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Science-Swami-Sri-Yukteswar/dp/0876120516

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Forgot to make it a clicky link. :-)

Holy Science
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• YEP! I read it & actually made a comment about it here;

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/692988/One_True_God

It's a complicated book, i had to read it twice to fully understand it. Sri Yukteswar rocks though...he is THE MAN! Any book related to the SRF organization are amazing! I recommend every single one of them. My parents actually met at an SFR meditation seminar in CA in the 60's. I love how some Hindu swami's can break down their belief system mathematically. It's totally intriguing! If you REALLY want to be thrown for a loop, read Yogananda's translation on the bible. He talks about Jesus, his trips to India & who Jesus was in his past lives.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i think i called it the "Science of relgion" in my last post which is a different book...LOL. but a GREAT one also. But, in that post i was reffering to "Holy Science"....oops!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks Samurai! Actually your answer in that question is what got us wondering which yuga we're currently in, because my husband thought we were in kali yuga. We found references to where Sri Yukteswar Giri believed there were miscalculations--which lead my DH to descriptions of this book. He told me he found a book that sounded like something I might be interested in. :-) I added it to my list. Hopefully I can read it sometime soon. My list of books I want to read keeps growing faster than I can read them!
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Well, the yuga's are a huge debate for lots of Hindu's. Many Hindu's believe we are in the Kali Yua, but i do not...not at all. I certainly believe that we just entered the dwapara yuga about 120 years ago, which totally makes sense. I mean...it's the yuga of technology & in the past 120 years, our brains have developed an intense keen sense for technology. It's pretty obvious to me that with all the technological advancements, we are for sure in the Dwapara yuga & not the dark ages. Sri Yukeswar explains in his book why we are in the dwapara yuga & not the Kali yuga. But, to this day...it's a huge debate between hindu's. Hare Krishna's will tell you we are in the Kali Yuga, but Hindu's who follow the path of Raja Yoga do not believe we are in the kali Yuga. If you have a hard time understanding the book, watch the documentary "The Great Year". Also, Sri Yukteswa was a master astrologer...he knows his shit...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Watch this video, it breaks the ages down & quotes Sri Yukteswar quite a bit & compares his yuga theory to that of the Greeks, which is realy super cool! It's narrated by James Earl Jones too...a nice treat!

http://synthesis.net/2008/04/24/the-great-year-documentary-on-google-video/

It's a google video, so it's safe to watch.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks! I'll watch that video, and I just added The Great Year to my Netflix queue too.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• just an FYI, the video i posted here is the great year & the quality is not so great. I would suggest to watch it on DVD since you already have it in your Que. But, if you don't get to it, you can always watch the clicky link. It's just lesser quality.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2011