military wives

dh is thinking abour joining the military and becoming a computer tech. i was wondering what is life like on a base? any insight would b great thanks.

mamasmurf171

Asked by mamasmurf171 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Will he be an officer or enlisted?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i dont really know any of the details right now, we're just talking about it. im just trying to get a feel for what it might b like
    mamasmurf171

Comment by mamasmurf171 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't have any idea but I'll give you a bump and hopefully someone will come along and help you. Good Luck!!!
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• What do you mean on base/post? Are you are talking about living in Base/post houseing? Or the military life?
    To get psot/base housing you get put on a list that might be 1 to 2 years long. So you usually live off post/base most of the time.
    It is hard to say what miltary life is like. It is different then civilian live. Depends on his job, but get use to being alone a lot.

Answer by louise2 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Military family life is tough. You can do it...but you have to be willing to sacrafice. It is not an 8-5 job. He will be on call 24/7. There will be deployments. Deployment means he leaves and you stay home to hold down the fort. When they are gone you have to be Mom, Dad, repairman, lawn guy and sole disciplinarian. Trust is a huge factor in being a successful military family. It is hard, no doubt. It is also rewarding in some ways. I do not intend to be discouraging...but I've seen a lot of wives come in with one expectation and have no clue. I grew up a Navy brat. I married a sailor. He retired after 30 yrs in 2002. It took us a long time to adjust to civilian life. There are some comforts with the military. Unless you break the rules...you're not going to be handed a blindsided pink slip. No insurance company is going to 'drop you' at the first of the month without cause. We lived all over the world and we loved it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It really depends on a number of things such as which branch he goes into, his MOS, and if he will be enlisted or an officer. Maybe you could give us a few more details such as does he have a Bachelor's degree? (if not, then this will rule out officer), Is he leaning toward one branch over the others?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Tell him not to join it's a waste of time unless he is going OCS. My "husband" is enlisted and it's been a horrible 2 years at least at Fort Carson. I've heard good things about other bases but he is getting out in August thank god, we are actually not together anymore were separated but for his and my daughter's sake I will be happy when August comes around.
    ah2590

Answer by ah2590 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ah2590, that is how my husband felt while he was in the army but once he got out he missed it. He did decide to do the reserves to finish up his 8 year contract and now that is finished and he is thinking about going back to active duty. The military is not for everyone, but for some it is.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011