My Princess Boy?

What would you do if your child wanted to cross-dress?

If your son/daughter thought they were the wrong sex, how would you react?

I'm watching the Today Show, and the author of "My Princess Boy" is on right now, and her son likes to dress up like a princess. She wrote a book to promote acceptance, and is telling her son's story. "It makes me feel happy," he says of dressing up.

What would you do?

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 11:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Love, respect, and accept my child. People can't help how they feel, or who they love. It's who they are and it's our duty as parents to love them unconditionally.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Love my child no matter what.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• One of my daughter's friends has a brother who used to dress up as the VILLAIN queens from all the Disney movies. His parents are very conservative, but didn't have a problem with it. No one else cared either. In fact, seeing little R come clomping down the driveway in a long gown with a tall collar and those little plastic mules on his feet always put a huge grin on my face. Gotta let kids follow their hearts...
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 11:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would support love and respect my childs wishes no matter how odd they seem to me I wish only happiness for my baby !!
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 11:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would not do anything. At such a young age, they are probably just experimenting. Just like if my son wanted to play with Barbies instead of GI Joes, there's no problem with that. It's stereo-typical to only let them play with or wear certain things associated with that sex. Kids should have the freedom to be who they feel most comfortable being. Hopefully they will grow out of that, but in some circumstances, they might be trans gender. I have been hearing a lot about that lately. Kids at a very young age know they are different and are just trying to be who they are. Bottom line, you are their parents. They need your love and reassurance no matter what!
    mommabecky83

Answer by mommabecky83 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I will love my child no matter what. Of coarse I would be concerned on how he'll be treated in school and in society but I won't force him to be someone he's not
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• How old is this boy?
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 11:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yeah know, I saw that and I do have mixed emotions. The child is still pretty young. I know that there are lots of young children who like to play "dress up". It just seems to me that they are really PUSHING the issue. I could be wrong, but that was my initial thoughts. How about you?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Soon2BMmy, the boy is 5 now. He wears dresses to school and everything.
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I do not know how I would handle it. I would first bring him/DS to the doctor and see if he might look like a boy but really be a girl. I heard that can happen. If that was not the issue. I would make him dress in his sexes cloths, like it or not. It might be a faze/ then it might not be. I would have to wing it from their.

Answer by louise2 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011