Are we allowed to replace the carpet?

We rent. One bedroom has no carpet because it got destroyed, not going into more detail. The living room, well, my dog decided to chew a corner this morning before we woke up. It's really old anyways and worn out so, it could use replacing. It's so old it's getting to the point that you can see the seams when I vacuum and/or steam clean. And it's so flat and the high traffic areas are dark no matter how much I clean them. We've been here for 2 years and it wasn't replaced before we got here or anytime since.

I'm just trying to find out if we will get in trouble if we pay out of pocket to replace the carpets. I don't want to tell them first because I don't want to get kicked out for the damage even though, obviously, we are paying to fix it. But I don't want them to sue us(don't know why they would) for doing work without getting permission. We're replacing the carpets at tax time. So, about a month from now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Call the landlord and ask them, I doubt it because you don't own the house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would just call the landlord and ask. You can say something like "Hey, we love living here and plan to stay for a while but I would love to replace the carpeting at my own expense. Would that be ok with you?" I can't see any landlord turning that down.
    MamaLori

Answer by MamaLori at 12:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• MamaLori, I didn't think of that. DH is military and he only has 2 years left but it's really hard to find places to live out here so, I'd rather just spend our money to fix it, it was our fault and stay here. I don't know what we'd do if we had to find somewhere else. I mean, our deposit would cover the carpet and we'd have enough tax money to move but it'd be finding a place, an affordable place, that would be the problem.

My only worry is if they say they would like to come look and see why we want it replaced or whatever. I mean, I don't think they would kick us out if we are paying for it out of pocket. We've sent 0 complaints to them, we pay our rent on time, etc, etc, etc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would call and ask. FYI, I am pretty sure they can't kick you out anyway just because the carpet is torn a bit in a corner, unless you aren't supposed to have the dog in there. Otherwise, minor damage in a rented home or apartment is to be expected and the landlord will likely be amenable to you replacing the carpet, though he or she may specify that it at least sort of match the rest of the carpet in there, or that it be a neutral color and style.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Ask your landlord or check your lease.
    MsLegalBriefs

Answer by MsLegalBriefs at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• since u rent u have to ask the landlord if u can personally do it or if they can.
    jenniferreser

Answer by jenniferreser at 6:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I can't imagine that they would have a problem with you replacing the carpet at your own expense, as long as you stay neutral.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011