A rant about my landlord. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

My SO and I live in Chicago. We moved into an apartment in July that had a known leak in the master bedroom. The landlord said that it would be repaired and taken care of. He has re-roofed twice and tuck-pointed the area but last week there was a serious leak from the snow melting on a flat roof and the drain pipe being clogged with ice and debris. While none of our personal items were affected (except a crummy rug) but there is water damage all over the ceiling and all over the wall and window area and on the hardwood floor (which supports a giant radiator).

The landlord said he found a solution but talking to other tenants and knowing his history he isn’t going to do anything about the drywall or the flooring! Not to mention my concern with potential mold. He seems to think he can just stop the leak and leave everything be. I am really not ok with that idea. I want to get a mold test done (since this has been an on going problem for longer than he lead us to believe) but they are $300+!

I am currently pregnant and am expecting in May. I am really uncomfortable with the situation we are in and frankly pissed.

Thank you very much for any help or advice!

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 12:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Document document document. Your best bet is to send him a letter saying that you want it fixed. Send it certified. It doesnt matter if you already told him you need it in writing. Put in there your concerns, mold, your pregnancy etc. Ask for a mold test. If he fails to do it send another letter stating that you will pay for the mold test but withhold that money from rent. In the letter say if you do not hear from him you will take that as an agreement, then do the test. If there is mold then move. You can legally break the lease once you show he is not keeping the place safe.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I can only tell you to report them to some place to get them to take action. Maybe the better business bureau or even local tv station might help some. And with a baby on the way I would be worried as well so keep on them to repair the damage since that is what they are supposed to do.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• call the health department and let them know about the situation and they will come and inspect the apartment. and will continue to do so until it is up to code. i had to do this before with a leaking ceiling as well. the apt complex wanted to just rig it and not fix it. and also not clean up the damaged and by that time moldy dry wall ceiling and waited until the carpet stunk of mildew to even try to dry it. needless to say the health department cracked down on them. BUT when it was time for us to renew our lease. (we couldn't afford to move at the time) the apartments refused us and gave us like 3 weeks to get out.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 12:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks to everyone. I'll start documenting and even take some pictures. I've contacted our local renter's rights organization to see what we can do.
    meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2011