Making your own baby food.

I am interested in making my own baby food. Now, the majority of the process seems pretty easy: If you want to make pureed peaches, you cook the peach a bit, add some water, and put it in the food processor. Then you portion it out, and freeze it. Same applies for veggies and, I suppose, meats.

Now, my question is this: If I wanted my daughter to eat the same dinner as we did, would I follow the same steps as I would to puree the peaches? I mean, once the food is cooked, do I just pop it in the food processor and "puree" it to the right consistency? Or is there something else to do?

Second question: My daughter eats "stage 3" foods (it has texture and little chunks of food). How can I be sure that she continues to get those little chunks and texture without the chunks being too large? Do I puree on a lower speed, or do I take a bit of the food out and err..mush it by hand?

I really hope my questions made sense. If not, I can try to explain things better if needed.

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 12:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• fruit does not have to be cooked before processing
    for chunks,process less

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• goodYou can either process the whole meal, or you can chop it up very finely, or you can do both and mix them. It's up to you! Experiment and see what works. It's WONDERFUL that you want to give her homemade foods! It will help her develop a taste for the foods YOU make, and give her a greater variety of foods, not to mention, YOU know where her food is coming from and what's really in it.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If your dd is eating stage 3 foods then she can most likely chew pretty well and would do fine without pureeing most things now. When I would puree my dd's table foods I would just pulse it a few secinds at a time until I got it the right consistency. If you want it the same as a stage 3 you can probably just pulse it for 10-15 seconds. But I would try to see how she does with it not pureed, just cut it into small bites and see how she does. Once they are ready for stage 3's they can usually handle that pretty well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• "If your dd is eating stage 3 foods then she can most likely chew pretty well and would do fine without pureeing most things now. "

I guess "puree" wasn't the best word to use. I just could not think of anything else. When I said puree, I simply meant "making it more manageable for her."

Also, I thought you had to cook the fruit/veggie to make it softer for pureeing purposes. I guess it makes sense that isn't the case, though. I used to puree mushrooms, carrots and zucchini for spaghetti, and I never cooked any of those.

Thanks for the help, all of you. I probably won't start doing regularly this until after we move at the end of the month, but I will start attempting to practice a few times a week.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If she's eating stage 3's, you can probably just cut what you are eating into VERY small and soft pieces, and let her self feed. No pureeing necessary :) If you DO puree, you probably should cook some of the foods, depending on how soft they are raw. Bananas, avocado, and things like that don't need to be cooked, but you'd want to bake a sweet potato before pureeing. KWIM?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No Tips yet because my DD is only 6 months but Annabel Karmel has some wonderful sounding recipes in her cookbook and also her online page. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I never pureed my kids food, I just mashed it with the back of a fork - that also let me know if it was soft enough for them to gum!

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011