Decluttering help please, questions about clothes?

I have way too many clothes, I am wanting to just keep outfits..instead of 10 shirts/ever pair of pants. How do you keep you clothes, as in...how many shirts, jeans, shorts do you have? How about for a 4 year old? How long do keep clothes for "just in case" reasons? Also, how many towels should I keep for a family of 4? Thanks! I'm so sick of not having any room to put clothes away, and rewashing clean clothes, because they get thrown on the floor, mixed in with the possible dirty clothes..

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I go through all the clothes every season. If I havent worn something in 6 months then I know I probably wont wear it. Same with my husband (although sometimes I have to wait until he is at work to get rid of that holey shirt or whatever lol). With the smaller kids no just in case. I keep maybe one just in case outfit, the rest go to the womens shelter or in the trash if no one else can use them. I can go buy something for them if we need it in a just in case moment. Towels I keep 2 bath towels for each person.

Answer by gemgem at 12:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• DS has a lot of shirts, pants, etc, and we keep them each in separate drawers in his room. (he's 2) You can either get more drawers, or pare down the clothes so they all fit. Then be sure to keep ALL clothes off the floor, and dirty clothes in a hamper. We have a hamper in each bedroom, so it's all very easy to just toss dirty clothes in there.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Oh, we also have about 10 towels in our house (including beach towels), for a family of 3. They're NEVER all dirty at once! I actually need to go through, because no more than 2 of any of them match! LOL
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011