Rat infestaton!!!

My grandmother's house is infested. She has a pest control company that comes out, and they lay glue traps down...I swear the rats laugh at this. These are huge rats, bigger than kittens, with a tail. They look like squirrels! I have seen them, since they seem to no longer fear people!!! We have set traps, and dh has removed over 20 rats in the past year. There is no way they are getting in, anymore...but you can literally hear them playing in the attic..ps: there is no attic access. We live in FL, if that helps. We are all on a very tight budget, and we are running out of ideas. This is not healthy. They are just breeding and breeding...and they are outsmarting the traps at this point. HELP!

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We used to own a pest control company and those glue traps arent going to do anything. Rats are smart, smarter then people think. If she already has pest control then fire them and call Truly Nolan. They should be in FL. They have an excellent program to keep rats out. If you cant then have hubby go to the house and seal off vents, basement entrances with wire or steal mesh. That should help. Get regular rat traps and put snickers on the end of it and make sure you squish it in or theyll take the bait and run. Itll kill them on the spot. You can also try a bb gun lol seriously. Lay out some bait and wait and watch them come for it. You can also use rat poison but be aware if they die under the house or in the walls itll smell to high heaven. However, if she has a pest control person and this happens they have to remove it lol. Make them earn their money.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• we had this problem with mice! They outsmart us! But if you lay down poison they take it back to their family ! that's what finally got our mouse problem done and gone with!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Oh here is one recipe to make your own poison
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4793595_homemade-rat-poison.html

There is also a more child friendly/animal friendly one with plaster of paris.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4455047_make-rat-poison.html

Also I agree with the above poster. We had field mice and rats when we moved into this farm house and I went to Tractor Supply and got some rat poison and they took it back to their homes and they were all gone within a couple weeks. They were never in the house though in our case.

Answer by gemgem at 12:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• we had mice really bad and the only thing that worked for us was poison, wiped those suckers out
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ewwww. I think I'd freak. Can you fog the attic? There must be an attic access or they would die. They have to have water.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 12:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Get ripe bananas, slice them down the middle and sprinkle in the rat poison and place them in the attic. It works, trust me.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011