How many toys for a 4 y/o girl?

Can someone tell me how much is too much? My 4 y/o has a lot of toys, many she doesn't play with. Most are educational, the only things she seems to play with daily are her baby dolls/baby doll nursey etc. Right now, everything fits on 3 bookcases, and in her 9 bins..minus the babydoll accessories and dolls. This does NOT include stuffed animals, her guitar, dollhouse and playdoh set. I want to just get rid of a lot of this mess, but I feel guilty. My choices are, downsize her toys, or get a big toybox. My fear with the toybox is that everything will get thrown in, and will get broken! How do you do it? Thanks!
My daughter is 41/2.

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Thats probably way too much stuff. I try and keep my 5 yr old dd's toys down to one large rubber maid bin, plus her baby dolls, baby doll stuff, and stuffed animals. I always figured that was enough stuff otherwise she just didnt play with it.

Answer by gemgem at 12:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Just go through it and get rid of what she doesn't play with. I do it a lot. My kids never notice. i give it to GoodWill. My kids don't play with 90% of what they have. They play with dolls and action figures. Most just sit there taking up room.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I go through my girls toys and anything they do not play with goes for yard sale or even to goodwill. If can and do not want to part with any animals make a shelf around the room up towards to ceiling and put her animals up there. Need up high enough so not to hit her head into all the time. do not feel quilty cause just part of growning up and toys will change all the time as they get older. Just Keep the things she plays with all the time.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• my poor apartment is crammed with the toys of my 3 children. i just have to sort through it every now and again and say bye-bye to the things that never get played with. we donate everything that isn't played with anymore. even after the sorting, the toyboxes are still over-stuffed. we just have way too much.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Have her help you weedle it down. That's what I do with my 3 yr old. I explain to her that there are little girls with no toys at all to play with, and if she helps Mommy give away some of her toys that she doesn't play with anymore, another little girl will get to play with them. The idea of helping makes her so happy, and she is eager to give stuff away. We've done it often enough that now, when she finds something she doesn't want anymore, she brings it out and says "Can we give this to another kid?"
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 2:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2011