Can you still work your abs while pregnant?

i have worked out for 2 years now and have a flat almost six pack stomach. i want to continue working out. Can it hurt? Will it help my tummy go back after the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They say whatever you did before the pregnancy you should be able to continue just not as "hardcore" I still ran through my pregnancy. :)

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Listen to your body. Go easy on your abs. It's okay to do SOME work on them early in pregnancy, but the more you work them, the more likely they will separate, which means it will take longer to get them back after you deliver. You need to listen to your body, and go easier on yourself than you did before you got pregnant. Be sure to drink plenty of water, and have a snack at the ready.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• no it cannot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did jackknives, that machine at the gym where you push the bars to lift weights with your abs, i did that every day 60 lbs and the rotating ab machine every day til i delivered. did not hurt the baby one bit. ab exercises are important while pregnant cause strong abs push the baby out when it's time. also my contractions didn't hurt one bit cause my ab muscles were so strong and i didn't have to push. don't stop ab workouts, they benefit you so much
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You need to ask your doctor. Some say light exercise is fine but not every ones body is the same so you really need to get a professional opinion on this.
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 1:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• you can not do abs while preg u will hurt the baby talk to your doc before u do irreversable damage
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 5:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• you will not hurt the baby doing ab exercises. i did hardcore ab exercises and had a perfect baby girl with NO complications
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011