Trying to prepare myself, how long do you think she'll live?

We have a 14 yr old small breed dog. She weighs approx 8lbs. She lives with my Grandma to keep her company. In the last year, Cozy has gone blind and she has numerous small tumors/cysts. She is not in pain. My mother keeps talking about putting her down soon. It's so sad. She's not as happy as she used to be,mainly because she can't see. She can't play like she used to. Something is happening with her body, for her to become blind and develop cysts all within the past year. We don't want to bring her to the vet at this time, mainly because we know they will reccomend putting her down due to her age. Anyway, until she is in pain, we don't want to have to do that. uggghhh.....anyway, for those who have had an old dog...what's your opinion?

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Poor puppy! Really, there is no way to know. I would still recommend a vet check, though. Otherwise you just won't know what's going on. Some lumps are treatable, and you may be able to keep her more comfortable. The vet can't make you put the animal down- ultimately it's your pet and your decision, so getting a medical opinion certainly won't hurt.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• They may not recommend putting her down. Going blind could be due to something like cateracts or it could just have happened that is not uncommon in older dogs. It is also very common for dogs to start going lumps as they age but unless you have the vet check them you won't know for sure if the tumors are cancerous or benign. If something is going on it would be better to have the vet diagnose the dog because many things are treatable or at least managable. If you don't go and there is something serious would you rather the dog suffers?
    It is so important when they get up there in years to have them checked out so that you can give the animal what they need. I had a Golden that lived to be 16 years old died weeks short of her 17th birthday. She was on several medications of differant things but they were managable and she was not suffering. It was not until we discovered she had a brain tumor that we decided to let her go
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• That's sad. I'm sorry. I don't know cause I'm not an animal expert.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm sorry this is happening, we had a dog like that, he wasn't going blind yet but he had cysts and eventually one of them ruptured so we had to put him down. I'm sorry I don't have a happy ending to tell hopefully yours turns out better than mine. Good luck !!
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011