My 3 year old has a viral rash. Had two Dr.s look at him. Anyone had this?

My son has a rash that started on only his trunk and over a period of a couple of months has spread to his hands and fingers, neck and even some on his face. They do not itch or hurt him. The one DR said it was from when he must have been sick and its viral and will go away. The Second DR. said It would have been a substantial sickness 104 fever or higher. My son never was THAT sick. The soonest the dermatologist can see him is 2 months away. Does this sound familiar? What is it? I tried researching online but its all too vague. The rash reminds me of chicken pox. But like I said they do not itch and no one else in the house has it.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• There are a lot of viruses that can cause a rash- I know my kids have had 'unspecified viral rashes' at times. No name to pin on it, but it always cleared up on it's own. None of them had a fever of 104 F with it either, so I don't think that's really a requirement.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• google pitariasis rosea. I had this. It lasted for a could of months. It usually starts on the trunk and begins with something called a hrald patch. You don't have to have that but it sometimes signals the onset. It is a virus and is not contageous. It will burn itself out. Without seeing the rash, though, it would be hard to guess. My son also had these little red dots all over from the neck to his hips on his chest and back. Did not itch and took forever to go away. I used Disney's exema cream every time I changed his diaper, I put it on him. It was gone in about a week. It could be any number of things so your best bet it the dermatologist but my suggerstions are just things that I or my son have experianced.
    aikenchic

Answer by aikenchic at 3:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sounds like Roseola to me. Can have high fever or none at all. It almost killed me as a baby, but my son had it and we barely knew it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011