How am I going to explain this...?

I am leaning on not getting my third son circumcised. I just really feel that it isn't necessary and I still feel guilt when I think of the pain my second born was in after words, and I honestly only really got it done because my first was done and I didn't want to have to explain why he was different from his brother. If I don't get my third done then how am I going to explain to my boys why their brother looks different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• You tell them the truth. You made a mistake and when you learned there was no real reason to do it, you decided not to do it again.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• With honesty and love.
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 1:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Good question. I don't know about this one so I'll give you a bump and hopefully someone comes along and helps you out.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It's up to you on what to do..but if you don't get it done, it can lead to infections and other things if not cleaned properly..also, if you're other two give him a hard time later on, he'll want it done..and according to my grandpa, who didn't get circumsized yntilhe was around 40, it's the worst pain he's ever experienced ( and he's currently going through a very rough bout of cancer). Good luck in your decision. If your boys become anything like my dh and his brother, they'll find something rto always puck at you about later in life, and thus one could be a touchy subject.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It can cause alot of problems for them later in life too! teen years are tough enough without the constant cleaning .Also adult men who have not been done can give a multiple problem of infections to their wives.It's a tough decision to make but i had 2 girls and one boy and yes i had it done after consults with my doctor on the pros and cons.Good luck
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The pain on a newborn is not remembered .
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• All my boys had it done for cleanliness purposes and because their dad was also that way. I wanted them to be clean and all have the same looking equipment since I knew he would likely be more involved in the potty training process. And he was. The choice is up to you but I would talk to your pediatrician about it, and then ask them how to explain it. They might be able to help.

Answer by gemgem at 1:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I know what it can lead to, I have done my research that is why I am hesitant this time around. I originally got my oldest done because my brothers weren't done and had nothing but problems. My youngest I did the research and still got him done even though I was on the line on whether I wanted to because I got his brother done. He ended up with a blood clot and was in pain for awhile and not even a pain med would help. I am afraid of that happening to this baby also, and so I REALLY researched it and I have been seriously thinking about it. I even have read an article on how to properly care for an uncircumcised penis on the off chance I chose not to, not to mention both my older boys were done within a few hours of birth. This one won't be done until he is 5 days old or around there, so I will have to care for his penis for those 5 days regardless. I just don't know if I want to get it done at all now though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think the pain on a newborn is remembered, maybe not by him but by me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You wait til they bring it up, if they do. And when you talk to them, don't say you made a mistake. Tell them that at the time you thought that removing the foreskin made more sense than not removing the foreskin.

As for those that are telling you about infections and medical issues for no circumcision......I call bull. I have 3 sons, none of them had infant circumsions. One had to have one later because of issues with his foreskin. But in 21 years of having boys with foreskin - I've never had one that's become infected. I've never had one that didn't understand how to clean it. It isn't hard to teach them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011