I've had my tubes tied but I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant! Anyone had this happen?

I'm 35 and well done with having children. I had my seventh at 30 and got my tubes tied at 32 after being terrified about contraception not working, money was tight etc. I have all girls and I would've loved a little boy but it was just time. I was happy with getting my tubes tied and my DH was not with getting a vasectomy so bam I got it done and we never worried again.

I haven't had a period for 3 1/2 months now, I started to think it was the menopause coming super early but I wasn't sure, so I took a test this morning and it's positive and now I'm a little angry and a little confused. Can it happen or could this be a hormonal problem??

My husband's posted at the moment so at least he doesn't have to share in my worries right now! Does anyone have any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Sorry to be the bad guy, but I've heard of it happening. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Ive heard of it happening. Usually though the cases I heard dont have a good outcome. I had a friend who had her tubes tied and got pregnant then lost the baby later. She researched after and found it does happen with the same result often. I would go see a doctor or go to the health dept and get them to do a test. You need to make sure the pregnancy is not a tubal.

Answer by gemgem at 1:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would differently go see a doctor to make sure its not ectopic
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My mom had her tubes tied and I was about 8, she just knew she was pregnant. And she was! She lost the baby at 3 months pregnant though. I haven't heard of good outcomes once they have been tied and getting pregnant again.  I hope that you can prove the statistics wrong!

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• yes i herd it happen before ... go get chked asap!
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I got my tubes tied when I had my last child at 38. My doctor made sure that I understood that he had delivered over 800 babies and at least 15 percent if not more was babies who's mothers had there tubes tied. Its not a 100 percent guarantee.  I hope that things work out the best way for you and your family. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You should get checked ASAP!!!

While it is COMPLETELY possible to have a regular interuterine pregnancy after a tubal (I know someone who had TWO...one twin pregnancy and one singleton 15 years after her tubal which included cutting, burning, and removal of some of the fibria) but there is also a HIGH HIGH risk of tubal pregnancy after a tubal ligation.

Chances are if it were a tubal you WOULD KNOW by now since you are probably 3-4 months pregnant based on your last period but it's best to get checked anyways.

Start a prenatal vitamin and CONGRATS!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Well, if you got a positive test, you are pregnant. Your normal hormones (or even premenopausal ones) won't give you a false positive. You should go to your GYN as soon as possible. In fact, when you call, tell them you've had your tubes tied and got a positive preg test. They may get you in that day. Good luck, mama!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• A tubal is not 100% effective - it has the same failure rate as condoms. You got a positive test, you need to get checked out by a doctor (and get an ultrasound) ASAP.
    Anonymous

• well i know for a fact it can happen. My friends mother had her tubes tied for 13 years and she got pregnant and went through a very good healthy pregnancy. She now has a 7 yr old son who has no problems. I would definatly make an appointment to see your doctor.
    stevynjjsmoma

Answer by stevynjjsmoma at 1:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011