The neighbor catnapped her cat!?!?!?!

My sister has lived in her condo for 10 years, about 5 years ago a single man moved in next door. They have always been on good terms. About a year ago my sister got a dog door so her cats and dogs could come and go as they please. In our state there is not cat leash law, so cats are allowed to roam free without restrictions.
One of her cats started going into the man's house through his dog door and scaring his dog. He told my sister and she tried to keep the cat in, but he would get out when she was at work. He started threatening to take her cat, but being really vague about it.
Then one day she saw the neighbor and asked how it was going with the cat, he said he had not seen him in a few weeks and it seemed the cat was no longer bothering him. A week later the cat was gone. No where to be found. My sister went to the neighbor and asked if he had seen him and he said no, but that he hoped the cat would stay gone. Then said the cat had been terrorizing him again and he was glad to be rid of him.
She didn't want a huge fight so she let it go and prayed the cat was where someone would take him in and care for him. She felt bad the cat was going in his house and picking on the dog, so she understands how frustrated the guy must be, but she was angry that he took her cat and that she didn't know what happened to him.

Fast forward two weeks, this morning she gets a call from the vet that her cat has been found and has been run over and they want her to pay for the care of this cat. She has no money and, the receptionist has said it is going to be around $350. It turns out the guy took the cat and dumped him out in the desert near the airport where he works. Two ladies took him in and were feeding him and taking good care of him. But this morning they ran him over accidentally. When they took him to the vet they found the microchip and called my sister.

She is heartbroken and doesn't know what to do. If she somehow comes up with all the money to treat him, where can he live? Not at her house the neighbor will just do something else horrid to him. The ladies that brought him in seem to want him and my sister would be fine with them taking him because then the neighbor could not hurt him. She is waiting to hear from the vet again about how much it will cost....

The vet told her that she needs to file a police report against the neighbor for dumping the cat in the desert, but I don't think she will. She doesn't want to cause a war in her condo complex. I think she should file anyway.

What would you do?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 1:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Phew. Poor kitty! I would make payments, and I would keep the cat inside all the time. It is better for the cat for one thing, and it would solve the neighbor problem for another.

Answer by Bmat at 1:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would file a report. That neighbor should have to pay for it. If I was her I wold also lock the doggy door and not let the cat out or if the dog door is at a back door maybe close in the patio so that the cat can't wander.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Does she have proof that it was this guy that took the cat and dumped him off? If she does, she should file a report. The guy sounds like a real jerk. What kind of dog does he have that a cat was scaring it so much?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He has a dachshund. The only proof she has is him telling her that his friends kept offering him live traps and that the cat was dumped near his work. And that he told her he called animal control.

The ways the laws are in this state she does not legally have to keep the cat in the house. If he does not want the cat in his house he has to keep the cat out, by sealing his dog door or blocking his yard from the cats.

I think he gave her plenty of warning and that she didn't work hard enough to keep the cat from being a nuisance. But he should not have taken the cat.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• She could file a police report, but without proof or evidence it's a lost cause. Also she might want to be careful if she takes the cat back in because the man can file a police report on her for the cat. People can be such douche's though, wow!! Your sis must be pretty ticked and heartbroken.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The thing is, he can not file a report on the cat. The laws here protect the cat and he is required to secure his house from the cat coming in. He called animal control and they told him that he has to keep the cat from coming in his house, that the cat is allowed to roam wherever it pleases.
    That is why he took the cat, because he has no legal recourse to get rid of the cat.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The women who have had the cat for the past two years should pay for its care and she should give them her blessing to keep the cat. They could have had him checked for a microchip anytime in that two years and didn't do it. Besides your sister is a horrible pet owner. That cat deserves better!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• This is why cats (and dogs) should be kept inside unless being supervised outside! Not everyone loves/appreciates pets (especially other people's pets and they shouldn't have to). I'm sorry to say, but all of it is your sister's fault because it is HER cat. The neighbor shouldn't have to worry about keeping HER cat out of HIS house. That is HER responsibility. The ladies that found the cat should have taken it to the vet right away to check for a microchip, but atleast they were kind enough to feed it.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't think she would win a case, she doesn't have PROOF the neighbor did it. You always need proof when you go to court never he said she said. I agree she shd have kept the cat under more control, I'd have been upset too, but I think it was down right mean and cruel what the neighbor did. What comes ard goes ard . maybe!!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• File the report cause he may have other reports of doing such and/or might help someone in future, learn to protect animals better, cats can use litter boxes and dont have to be going in/out,
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011