sore throat remedies? :(

besides honey and salt water. ive tried both and its not touching it! my tonsils are enlarged too. i came down with this last night and today the pain is awful. i feel like im swallowing a spoonful of nails everytime i swallow! :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• Go to the Doctor, and see if you have strep throat. If you don't, Hot Toddy's are great. 2 oz of brandy, brewed with tea and honey and lemon to taste. Hot tea does wonders. Lots of cough drops will go a long way.
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 1:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Does this happen often? MY husband has enlarged tonsils they refuse to take and he ends up in the ER each time needing antibiotics to get rid of the PRE strep symptoms because they get so bad
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Melaleuca oil on a cotton swab - swab the back of your throat - yeah, I know its uncomfortable and you'll probably gag - but it works - I've used it - my husband has used it and my children too - make sure you use good quality tea tree oil - Melaleuca's tea tree oil is very good.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Hot tea and lemon. Irish Whiskey slowly drink a shot.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Tea with a lot of honey. It really helps and it tastes good!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• lemon with honey
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• oh and lots of water
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had something similar awhile back and I was put on a z-pack for an uri. They told me to swig children's ibuprofen for the pain. Don't know what to tell you to do about the swelling. They also gave me a prescription compund gargle. I didn't use it b/c the anitbiotic and ibuprofen did the trick within 8 hrs.
    aikenchic

Answer by aikenchic at 3:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Boil some ginger put a teasppon of honey and some lemon works wonders!
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• it happens almost everytime i have a cold. but ive had enlarged tonsils since birth, they've always been bigger than normal and ive always been too chicken to get them removed. i had tonsilitis a lot growing up but havent dealt with that in years. the only symptom i am having is painful swallowing, and a touch of nasal congestion. ive been drowning myself in water, swallowed a teaspoon of honey and took an ibuprofen for the swelling. the ibprofen seems to be doing its job, but the pain is still there! guess if its not better tomorrow and the remedies you all suggested dont help, ill be heading to the doctor for some meds! thank you!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011