Pediatrician Help?

Finding and picking a pediatrician is like finding a damn needle in a haystack! My OB gave me a list and told me just to call that most any of them would meet with me, the list is very small and can't get me in until end of Feb., well that is when I'm due and my OB wants me to have one now because I have already been admitted a couple of times for preterm labor!. Would a little boy rather a female or male doctor? If you are from Lima, Ohio do you know any good pediatricians around? I'm going to drive myself crazy on this issue!

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Look, when it comes to professionals...you never will know until you try. You don't like every person you work with, who is in your neighborhood, or have gone to school with. So you won't like every doctor you meet. Sometimes it also comes down to personality. We most often call this bedside manner. But while your friend down the street may really like one doctor you may meet that woman and think....NO WAY! You can look up your labor and licensing board and see if there are any complaints pending or have been complaints in the past. You can also ask your insurance company for any complaints. Many companies actually have online surveys so that patients can rate the doctor. I know because when I google my own name I have several insurance companies that ask my patients to rate me.  Mostly I think you try one out and if it doesn't work you shop around.  There is no rule that says you are stuck

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Lima Pediatrics - Karen Smith MD 1005 Bellefontaine Ave, Ste 245, Lima, OH 45804

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Lima-OH/Lima-Pediatrics-Karen-Smith-MD-L2078759654.htm

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would just choose a family practitioner you can all go to. That way you know the doc well and if you are comfortable your son will be, too. And newborns don't usually care if it's male or female.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not sure about this one, when i gave birth to my 1st DD the hospital picked the pediatrican for us and told us we could switch if we didnt like him but I LOVE him.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• with this person. You can also call the office and ask to speak to their nurse as the potential new patient. Have them answer some basic questions. Like how do they feel about co sleeping, vaccines, breast feeding, and other issues that are important to you. How long is a typical office wait?  What about flu shots?  In a case of acute illness it is important to know can you make urgent appointments? If your child had a high fever, it is normal business hours, your child is throwing up....can you bring him or her in? Do they have extended hours? Are they open some weekends? What hospital are they affiliated with?  These things will be important.  How much time does a doctor spend with a parent and child on a baby well visit?  ASK!  If a nurse can't answer your questions - I think you have the answer to your question if this is the office for you.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not a chance. We have a family doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I started mine at a clinic that had about 8 on staff,a few i liked and some i did not.I just told the desk lady that i needed her to put the names of the ones i liked only and she did.No problem!! How I chose them was how my children reacted to them.Its all about bed side manor for me.Good luck
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011