We can't afford to keep our daughter in private high school and need to transfer her to public high school next year. She will be in the 11th grade and I'm worried about the adjustment.

My husband and I are discussing that we might have to pull our daughter out of the current Catholic high school she is attending because of financial reasons and transfer her into the public high school next year. She is a sophomore now and we are thinking of having to do this next year. I'm so worried about the transition and consequences of her changing high schools. I'm worried she will be so upset that she will have a hard time adjusting to a new school, new peers, etc. Has anyone had to do this and is there any advice you can give me to make this a better transition for all involved??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• anon, you're a bitch!
    Anyway, I would try talking to the school. At this point they may have ideas on how to let her finish what she started. I would also go to my local parish and ask if they know of a family who would be willing to "sponsor" her the rest of the way. Good luck. And kudo's! for giving your child a "widdle rich girl" education! Ignore HATER anons!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Have you tried talking to the school about a possible scholarship so she can finish school there?

Answer by gemgem at 2:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• IS there any scholarship in that school? They usually have options to pay the tuition fee as well. I think if you go to the school and talk to them about your changing position you can find a solution with them. I am crossing my fingers.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't have any advice, but I can tell you it can go well. My secretary's daughter transferred from a small private school to a big public school in 11th grade. She was at the top of all the advanced classes in the public high school. She continued her friendships with her private school peers and made new friends in the public school.
    Anonymous

• poor widdle rich girl.
    Anonymous

• Would the public school let her come in to visit or tour the school? Are there kids her age in the neighborhood that dont go to the private school, but do go to the public school? Maybe she can get involved in some clubs once she gets started at the new school. Kids can be resiliant. Yes it's scary, but so is starting a new job, or moving to a new town, etc. She'll be okay. You do what you have to do for your family. Good luck to all of you :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• These are hard economic times and you have to do what you have to do. Is there any way grandparents can help out financially with at least part of the tuition. I would start preparing her now so she is not totally shocked. We know a set of 8th grade boy/girl twins and the parents had to choose which child to keep in the private high school ( 7th is high school at our local catholic school) and they kept the boy in the private school and his sister is attending the local middle school. From what my daughter tells me the girl is adjusting fine.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• jcm62497, If I could only afford for one of my children to go to private and the other had to go to public, I would send both to public.
    Anonymous

• and how does your daughter feel about this. Does she think it will be a huge deal? This could be a great oppertunity!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Besides being a major adjustment for her, what if the private school is ahead of what the public school is teaching? Or visa versa. But I agre with mrsmom and see what kinda activies they have to offer and go and do a meet and greet.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2011