Does brown phlegm = infection?

I've never had brown phlegm that I can remember. I don't smoke either. I've had this cough and sore throat since last Wednesday, but Saturday was when it got really bad and I started coughing up phlegm. It's now brown, and I'm not sure when I need to go to the dr. I have asthma, so I don't want to take any unnecessary risks, but I also don't want to go to the dr for a virus that he can't do anything for.

Does anyone know if brown phlegm automatically means I have a bacterial infection? Does anyone have any home remedies for it other than hot tea, mucinex, and humidifiers?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• It could be a sign of blood, maybe throat irritation from coughing so much. If it were me, I'd save some of the phlegm and bring it in to a doctor and get checked out. Better to be safe than sorry ya know =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Get to the Dr and get checked out ASAP. Anything that comes out of ya that is not normal...get it checked. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope you feeel better. Happy New Year!! =-)
    ErinsMomma1

Answer by ErinsMomma1 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011