How nuch more does your life really change after baby #2?

My daughter is 5 and we are out of the baby stage of course and we can go and do about anything we want. We have parents that love to keep her but who is going to want to keep two? And I am use to just picking up and taking her wherever I need to go. We stay at the mall all day or do whatever. Baby #2 will be here in July and am so scared that i am in for a really big rude awakening! And no this wasn't planned!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Having a second child seems to quadruple the work. When you have the first child , you just concentrate on taking care of it. Now with the second baby, you'll have to juggle doing all the caring for an infant, while also caring for the 5 year old, and making sure she gets enough attention so she doen't feel left out or get jealous. Managing one in the car seat now means holding the five year old's hand while you balance the baby on your hip as you try to get them both strapped in. You're right about the grandparents, it fun having one, but managing two becomes more than they are willing to handle. Having two sick at the same time, or the 5 year old sick and trying to keep her away from the baby. Later trying to find a movie or activity that both will like. The positives are that 5 years is much better distance than 1,2,3,or 4. Having said all that.... Relax. You'll do find. It will work out.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• taking care and raising one kid is hard, 2 kids are plenty for me. (both girls)
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 2:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• There's a learning curve involved. Juggling two when you are used to handling one takes getting used to. I know after I had my second, and then my third, there was a period of time when getting out of the house was stressful! Actually, with three I still find it stressful, but only because there are so many hats/boots/mittens/coats to find and put on and it seems to take a long time, even for a short trip. Realistically though, you will find your groove and will adapt to the 'new normal.' At least your older child is five and able to do some things independently... easier than having a newborn and an 18 month old or a newborn and 2 year old.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I worried about that too,except it was baby #3! And after all said and done you just adjust and do it .I know it sounds hard but ,well it is!I look back when mine were so young and think whew,but at the time it was fun!!! always something new ,never the same day.Now they are all grown and gone.I feel alot like there is something i should be doing,but what???Yeah i could use a few granbabys!!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2011