Question for grandmothers of teens....

Would you find it rude or just honest if your son/daughter told you that their teenage child(ren) were not interested in going on a 3/4 day train trip with you. Not because of YOU but because they didnt want to sit on a train that long.

sahlady

Asked by sahlady at 2:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Not a grandma of teens but I am a grandma. I also have teen/adult kids. I think I would be hurt, but find it honest. I would tell them I was hurt by it, and why.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Why? Why is that hurtful. If they said grandma your boring and I dontwant to spend time with you - that would be hurtful. I dont have sedentary kids... they are all athletic and move daily.  I can not imagine telling them to sit on a train for 3/4 days.  It has NOTHING to do with her.... it is the TRAIN they dont want.  If she has said let them fly home with me - sure, no prob.  They just dont want to be stuck on a train.

I would love to take the train with my mom and see the sights... but I dont know that I can leave my family for 3/4 days after a week long vacation.

sahlady

Comment by sahlady (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would not consider it rude. I would consider it honest. I want to spend time with my grandchildren, and we try hard to think of trips that will be interesting for them, more than for us. I haven't taken a train trip for 3-4 days, so I can't specifically comment on it, but I do think teens often complain about things that they have an impression of, but don't really know the details enough to know whether they would like it or not. So I do think they should be encouraged to try new experiences. However, we have a granddaughter who loves history and loves visiting historical sites with us, and loves museums. However our grandson would be bored to tears with it and need more active trip like boating and jet skis. I think in this case maybe the kids and grandparents could sit down and talk about it and go over the brocures and then make a decision. Or If it's a trip that the GP's are set to take and were going to invite the
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• cont: invite the kids along, it might be that the kids either suck it up and put up with the bad part to get to the good parts or just make the decision to stay home and vegetate.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• thank you luci.... I have no prob telling them to suck it up... accept that it will be at the end of a whole week of sucking it up at my moms home. she lives in a VERY small town in the mid west with NOthing todo. So they will have sucked it up for a whole week already.
    sahlady

Comment by sahlady (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Why are you taking them to somewhere that there is nothing to do and expecting them to enjoy themselves? I have 3 teens myself and I wouldn't plan a trip of more than 2 days without having plans for them to be occupied while we're gone. You're just asking for a miserable time. Why not invite GM to go with you on a trip instead of spending the entire week at her house? Perhaps she would enjoy a change of scenery, too.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ceallaigh... we are obligated to go there to see her because my 102 yr old grandmother is there too... so we need to go. We used to go once a year when the kids were little but havent been there in about 2.5 yrs (as a family - I go yearly).

Last time we went we were in the little town for 3-4 days and then spent a couple days in Chicago.  I had my mom go with us but she is SO out of shape and unhealthy that she insisted on taking taxis every where... couldnt walk very far.... and tired easily.  Sadest thing is that my mom is ONLY in her 60s.  Heck my 80 yr old fil is in better shape.

sahlady

Comment by sahlady (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i wouldnt be hurt. kids that age dont want to hang out with us. we cramp their style
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 2:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Heck, we cramp our childrens style let alone the grandbabies! LOL Listen. This is a no win situation. You know you have to go. What can you do to make an adventure out of it. maybe go on line to ASK.com see if they can give you some things teens can do in the train. Also, see if there are some things goin on in town at that time of year. Check with Chamber of Commerence to see if they have some suggestions for teens. You could also call the school in that town. Ask them what the teens do. And why aren't you going on the train too? make sure they have plenty of snacks! The train is open to walk through. so they can get exercise. I had a blast on the train. I took one that had glass on the top level and big windows. It was fun going places cars never went. When it got boring, I had the internet & DVD player to watch my favorite movies - funny ones! Also, crafts are great. Painting or taking pixs to show grandma. Hope this helps
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 2:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2011