Anyone work in a school system? question about pay

My dh has applied for a job in our school district as a security monitor at a middle school. It pays pretty well and they have great benefits. But it is only 9 months a year of course. My question is, do they only get paid 9 months out of the year? I thought i had heard once somewhere that they adjust their checks so they do get paid 12 months out of the year. I'm so confused lol. Stupid question probably but could someone straighten this out for me? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• I used to work for the district here, but every district and state is different so you would have to ask. It also depends on the job itself. With teachers sometimes you get it worked out so you get pay 12 months but that means making less during the 9 months school is on. For things like security and janitorial they only get paid for the time they are at work. I would also ask them how they pay. Around here you only get paid once a month.

Answer by gemgem at 2:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Ditto what she ^^ said. It depends on the district and the type of job.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 3:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My station is licensed to a community college district, with different pay schedules. I am on 12 months, but I understand that the ten month faculty are paid only ten months of the year. And our paychecks are cut once a month.

He will need to ask. More than likely there's union representation and he can get the answers through the union.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It does depend on the district and the job. In my district, the teachers, aide's, cafeteria workers, etc who work on a 180 (9 month) schedule have their 9 month pay stretched to 12 months. However, my job as a substitute teacher, I get paid monthly for what I work for that month. I don't get any pay during the summer months.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Teacher here. In my state you have choices. I can choose to spread my salary over 12 months. For example, I make 33,000 before taxes. They spread that out over 9 months or 12 months-my choice. I choose 12 months.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't work in the school system but both my parents are teachers...they have the option to either get paid just 9months or to have it stretched to 12months, which of course means less each month, but you don't have to go the entire summer without a paycheck.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 3:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm a teacher as well, and in most, if not all school districts you can sign up to receive 22 pay checks (biweekly--10 months) or 26 pay checks (biweekly 12 months). The payroll department will explain how this is done and what he would be receiving per paycheck.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Where I live you can choose to be on a 9 month or 12 month pay plan.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Where I work we get our pay spread out over 12 months.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The Chicago Public Schools have year-round pay

Answer by rkoloms at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011