Where do you look for info?

As expected, there has been a definite shift at Beliefnet since it was sold, and it's not quite the unbiased, equality-driven source it used to be. It used to be, when people had questions about other religions here, Beliefnet, Sacred Texts and Religious Tolerance were the standard answers. Lately, it just seems to be people believe anything they hear and regurgitating it as fact about other people's faiths (and part of me wonders if that shift in tone there has something to do with it).

It would seem that today there's an information gap. Where are you going to learn basic facts about other religions?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I used to use Beliefnet, but I haven't for awhile, so I wasn't aware they had done a shift. In what direction, if you don't mind my asking? Jus curious.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i read these things called books! They're great!

I also love to experience religions first hand. I go to many different religious services of many different kinds. Experience is always the best way to learn.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• BN Media bought it over the summer and immediately began laying off writers. Some sections have had no new content since then. Other content has taken a shift. Most of their new writing is Christian-centric, and aside from that is a huge push towards more feel good self-help like topics (think Oprah) and less focus on actual useful information.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Religious tolerance is one of my main sites for information. If I am looking for something about a specific sect, I will go to the source: either the holy book of said religion, or their main website.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Ah, ok, I gotcha. Like I said, I haven't been there for a long time, I didn't even know they had been sold.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• People are going to need to use some common sense. You can usually tell by the tone of an article if there is bias, but it doesn't EVER hurt to look at more than one source and back up information.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• books and CM. ive found books are a lot more reliable than the internet and asking CMers questions about their own faith (i rarely take the word of someone who isnt a believer of the faith im asking about) usually gives me the best insight into a faith.

glad to know beliefnet changed, i use to use them all the time. id hate to get bad info from a sight that use to be trustworthy.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• id hate to get bad info from a sight that use to be trustworthy.

I don't know that what's there is "bad" persay, but it's different. They seem to be pushing more self-help, self-improvement than actual religious education. It's like they're trying to cash in on the whole Chicken Soup/Eat Pray Love trend and abandoning issues of faith in favor of motivational speaking-type articles and postings.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• "They seem to be pushing more self-help, self-improvement than actual religious education. It's like they're trying to cash in on the whole Chicken Soup/Eat Pray Love trend and abandoning issues of faith in favor of motivational speaking-type articles and postings."

ah, but id still be aggravated if i went there for info and found all of that instead.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't stick to one specific source but read up on many different sources and perspectives. It gives me a better idea of the overall picture and where there might be biases of mis-information being given.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011