ds just got bit by a ton of fire ants

we were outside and he accidentally stood on an ant hill. He started screaming really loud as if in pain. I ripped off his clothes and ran in the house, put him in the shower (he fought it at first) and I got all of them off. I then drew him an old fashioned oatmeal bath to help heal his skin. he seems ok now, but he still complains of the bite pain. They are everywhere, mostly on his back and butt. Right now he's drinking some milk, snacking on animal crackers and watching a dvd. He seems ok now. But is there anything else I should do? OMG so scary! they bit me as I tried to help ds. those bastards.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• his shower and bath was somewhat cold. that's what calmed him down (he isnt a fan of the showerhead) because it felt good on the bites. he seems ok now. he doesnt like the feeling of ice on him but we do have a child ice pack thing I'll offer
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Rubbing alcohol on the bites. And whatever he does do not let him scratch the bites and "pop" the pustule, it makes it longer to heal and increases the chance of a scar.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Put hydrocortisone cream on the bites. Reapply daily. Don't let him scratch. Watch for swelling. If he starts to swell, which the time for that has probably already passed,, but if he starts, take him to emergency room. It may help to keep him in loose pajamas that cover all the areas, it will be harder for him to scratch, loose will keep the material from rubbing against them and causing him irritation.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You can also give him tylenol for pain.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I just took a close look. I dont see any swelling. I mean nothing that looks severe. there is some swelling but I dont think they have gotten worse per se. Just "normal" swelling. the areas are still pretty red but the ants were also in groups so there's a lot of bites close to each other.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• so scary! hope he's ok now!
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• poor guy!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:30 PM on May. 9, 2011