Is religion stopping us from all getting along?

On one had religion sends the message of light, love and peace. Yet on the other hand it excuses and promotes judgement, hate, and discrimination.

So my question again is...is religion stopping us from all getting along (tolerating each other)?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 2:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• it's not stopping me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I like everyone for who they are, not religion they practice. If someone is looking for an argument I usually stay clear of them in real life and figure they are just unhappy with their life or their choices and that can happen no matter what religion you are. However, I wont allow someone to be rude to me because of my beliefs either. I believe how I believe and I expect to have the same respect extended to me I extend to others. If it isnt then I wash my hands of that person. Its case by case for me.
    I think if you make religion your focus, then you will always find a reason to dislike someone.

Answer by gemgem at 2:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No. I am an Atheist and don't get along with other Atheists because we don't agree on other things. People will always find a reason to not get along.
    Anonymous

• If only it were that simple!

I think ignorance and jealousy is more often the cause than religious differences.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not for me. I am very open minded and I am finding many people are not. I think the confidence christians have in their faith really bothers non-christians here.
    Anonymous

• I think it does when people believe there is only one true religion-theirs.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm not religious in the least bit, but I will befriend anyone no matter what their belief's (or lack thereof). As long as you agree to disagree, that's a big thing. I couldn't hang around someone who was always shoving it down my throat, but I have no qualms about discussing different things about different religious, even if I'm not educated in religions I think it's neat to learn about them.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• religion itself, no. some ppl are going to be jerks no matter what they believe in. look at the PC&E or parenting debate sections...for some there is just a lot of reasons not to get along. some ppl thrive on it. personally, i dont like confrontation, so i can get along with just about anyone so long as they arent literally in my face about how wrong i am.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Religion-No. Otherwise people of differing beliefs would never get along and that simply isn't the case. It tends to be more of a communication error in which we aren't articulating what we mean effectively or a behavioral issue of the individual themselves. It has nothing to do with religion really. Religion is just a different perspective. Kind of like one person thinking Cheese Pizza is the best while another prefers pepperoni or Hawaiin Luau. It's the individual people that over complicate things and make it so we have difficulties getting along.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2011