I am 20 and I am having my 2nd child. It is to early to operate my self to not have any more?

People tell me that I am to young and the doc. probably will not do it and also maybe I will change my main in the future.

Jamie8788

Asked by Jamie8788 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yeah. I know if you have state aid you have to be 25 and have 3 kids (illinois). Why not do the IUD. It will last 5 years and then you can just keep getting it replaced after that until you've really "decided".
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Typically you most have 3 children or be atleast 25 befor they will do that type of surgery. I think you may be alittle young to decide you dont want no more. Things change as your children get older. My son is nearly 7 now and when i was 20 i told myself i didnt want no more but here iam 4 years later pregnant and loving it. So just find a really good birth controle you wont have to think about for 5 years and go from there.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It is probably too early, you are too young.
    Get an IUD though and use condoms. Then when the time comes that you are eligible and you still wish to do it, go for it.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My 28 yr old sister could not get a hysterectomy even for health issues because she was too young.. I was 26 with my 3rd pregnancy and going in for c-section and asked for a tubal since they would be cutting me, but again refused. My husband got a vasectomy
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• This is a big decision to make at 20. You know YOU best & it's your body. But, now that I'm 33 I can see that at 20 I had no business making such big decisions for my future. You never know how you will feel later in life. Have you thought about Mirena? It's inserted by your Dr., it lasts for five years & it leaves you with both the inability to get pregnant while still giving you the option to change your mind at a later date. I had my 3rd child when I was 29 & had thought about 'closing up shop'. My Dr. recommended Mirena & even though I was SURE I didn't want any more kids I followed her advice. I'm happy I did. Now, four years later I'm being bitten by the baby-bug & I'm glad that even though I might not have any more kids, at least I didn't eliminate the possibility. Good luck with your decision.  If you have any questions about Mirena on a personal level feel free to ask me!

CoconutShrimp

Answer by CoconutShrimp at 12:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Here's my 2 cents; if you feel you are truly done, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. Secondly, I'd like to know why in the hell a state allows a 16 year old to get an abortion, but not let a grown woman get her tubes tied, that is ridiculous.... I do agree that it is highly possible that later on you might want more, and getting them "tied" now is actually going to hinder you from doing so later.They now cut them and burn the ends, which reversing it is difficult. Just make sure you want to do this and if you have even the slightest doubt, go on birth control instead :) GL!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Restricting it is a goofy idea. Tubal ligations are reversible. heck, if a man can get a vasectomy at 18 why SHOULDN'T a woman be able to do what she wants with her body?

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with ya diamante!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2008